Chapter Thirteen

As the wedding came to a close the family and a few others worked on cleaning up. Ratchet scolded chief Burns for trying to help and had him sit down. Optimus sat with his friends as the others worked. They wouldn't let him do anything either. Piper walked over and hugged her father tightly around the neck then kissed his cheek.

"See you later Papa, I'm going to hang out with Brooke. Call if you need anything." She grinned and ran off. Ratchet blinked a couple times in surprise and watched her go then looked at the other two. He had lipstick on his cheek from her kiss. Charlie Burns chuckled softly as he watched the confused doctor.

"Tell me how you managed to get your children to... accept you." The ex Chief said as he shifted in his chair and winced. Cody looked at him then took his paralyzed hand and carefully rubbed it to ease the pain. His father looked at him then smiled a little.

"I... it wasn't easy... then again it sort of was." He mumbled and sighed shakily as he looked at Optimus. "It turns out their step father isn't the best person." He muttered bitterly. "When Piper was ten she found out he was her step father. She told Grimlock she wanted to find her real father, and started to search." He chuckled softly.

"Though at that time... her... Jennifer... and her husband started going on long trips." He corrected his ex wife's name. "They just left.... them when Piper was only eight... when that started... it became a regular occurrence... Grimlock dropped out of school to watch his sister. Didn't get the education he needed, but made sure his sister did." He sighed forcefully and buried his face in his hands. The two cops looked at each other then at the doctor. They knew it had to be hard for him, to know what happened to his children, but not be able to help.

"Piper and Grimlock always hoped to find... their real father... to be free from their nightmare." He muttered bitterly and clenched his fists tightly. "I wasn't there for them... I'm no better than my own father." He rasped quietly. Optimus glared and shook his head as he gently gripped his shoulder.

"No... you aren't." He said seriously and the doctor looked at him.

"They're going to leave me Optimus..." he muttered bitterly and stared at his hands. "Just wait... it'll happen..." he sighed forcefully. Burns looked at the two and stared blankly then glanced at his son.

"Then they found you at the hospital... after the explosion and Jennifer identified you." Optimus said gently as the chief looked back at them. "She showed how much she hated you... which made Piper realize what really happened." He finished. Ratchet nodded slowly as he smiled a little.

"Such... a bright girl..." he rasped and sat up straighter. "I told them what happened.... how much I loved them, and how devastated I was when she took them. Jennifer called me a liar, and told them how mad she was that I abandoned them." He said as he sighed again. He smiled a little as he blinked back tears.

"Piper realized she was lying and called her out on it. I felt bad for Grimlock... he didn't know what to think." He mumbled. "He was hurt and confused as to why... everyone was angry." He said as he trailed off. He stared at his hands and remembered that night.

~

Grimlock watched as Piper argued with her mother about how wrong she was for taking them from their father. She then told her she should have at least told them. Her mother argued that Ratchet didn't deserve to be their father and they should forget the whole thing. The argument continued as Ratchet and Knockout glanced at each other. Unsure what to think about the situation and unsure if they should say something.

"Stop it!" Grimlock boomed as he gripped his head and set his elbows on his knees. He gripped his ears as he squeezed his eyes shut. "Just stop fighting..." he pleaded. Piper looked at him and remembered when their mother and step father would argue. He hated it.