Dem Chicken Chops

“Hun, you home?” A voice echoed through the house as I closed the door behind me.

“Yeah, ma!” I shouted from downstairs, walking over to the living room and tossing my Jansport (backpack) on the brown couch and turning the corner to the kitchen. I could practically feel the Funyuns calling me.  

‘Eat me Ty, Eat me.’ Okay, maybe that’s a bit weird but whatever. I opened the cabinet and behold my precious and long awaited Funyuns. I grabbed the bag and popped it open, plopping one in my mouth and walking over to the couch. I sat down on it, crossing my legs indian style and began to eat my chips as I scrolled down Twitter.

I heard some footsteps walk down the stairs but I kept my attention on my phone, giggling to a photo as I scrolled down Twitter. The footsteps stopped but I heard a throat-clearing and I turned my head.

My (step) mother Sinna stood there with a grin on her face as she leaned on the stair-case railing.

“How was school?”

“It was cool,”

“Oh cmon, what was it like?”

I sighed of either relief or stress, I don’t know which as I began to tell the story of the first day at my new school.

“Did you find your locker?” She asked.

I opened my mouth and closed it, shaking my head and making a side frown. “I didn’t even think about my locker the entire day.”

Sinna giggled and stood up from the couch, “This ‘Demo’ sounds pretty inresting to be a teacher, or therapist.”

“Maybe she just gets along with students?” I suggested, chewing up the rest of my Funyuns.

“Probably, well I’m going to start making dinner, anything you want?”

“Anything’s fine really, hey where’s Dad?”

“At his brother’s, since Mateo’s visiting from El Paso he’ll probably be there for most of the week. It’s like their best friends and not even brothers.” She made her way to the kitchen and began to do her (may I say delicious) cooking while I was starting to doze off on the couch watching the Food Network.

My eyes flickered opened to see my mom rocking me back and forth, trying to wake me up.

“Wake up, I made dinner~” She spoke, but I had already gotten that delicious aroma in my nose. One of my Dad’s favorites (me included) –Chicken Fried Pork Chops with gravy. I don’t know how many times I’ve thanked God for having such an amazing cook of a mom, but this is just another one of those ‘thanks.’

When I walked to the kitchen I also realized my Dad was home and leaning back on a table chair, reading through some religious book. My Dad wasn’t very religious, but his parents were, and his sister, so growing up in that kinda house probably had some kinda affect on him. As for Sinna, she says that religion doesn’t really matter to her, but if my Dad wants to talk about it or anything then she’ll cooperate with him.

I walked over to the counter and opened the cupboard, pulling out a few cup and setting it onto the counter as I grabbed the Pepsi from the fridge.

“Hey kiddo,” He began as I started pouring the soda, “How was school?”

“Good, surprisingly better than I expected.”

He let out a chuckle and set his book down, “That’s great, could you pass me the gravy?”  

My mother, being closer, handed it over to him with a smirk, “Never enough gravy.”

“Not my fault your cooking is great~”

I smiled looking out the window as I heard the ‘pop’ noise of their small kiss, taking a sip of the cold drink in my hand. There are nights like these that I tend to cherish. Where the world feels content in that moment. It's a nice feeling...

"Ty, are you gonna eat? You probably should before your father gets too it." Sina joked, leaning on the counter. My dad replied with a scoff followed by a laugh. I turned and sat down to eat, picking up a piece of gravy-covered chicken and taking a bite. Thank God for such a great cook. I thought as I closed my eyes in bliss and enjoyed dem chicken chops.

(A/N: I haven't updated this for like a month, wowza e-e I'll try and keep updating this story, I have big plans for it, the only in my way is my laziness and procrasination Dx)