Open Chances

Turns out my first period was in the quad area, right side, in the double doors –Which I eventually found out was known as Hall 2(00). The hallways were a bit empty, still a decent amount of people though. The hallways were just straight forward and then a right turn, though I didn’t make it that far. I’ll try and describe it better anyway. When I walked in there was a classroom door on the right –Class 200, and a row of lockers beside it until the next class –Class 201, which was on the left side. It continued like that until I was at 206, the class on the right end of the hallway. I pushed open the door with my weight as my hand turned the handle; the door was a bit heavy. Since class hadn’t officially started –thankfully –I didn’t get stares, only a few, but they barely lasted a second. It was like, half a second…Yeah.

I walked up to the teacher’s desk, where a young man –I guess he was in his early twenties –with a black stubble around his mouth and a black quiff hair-style sat, typing on a computer.

“Um, hello, can you sign this?” I got straight to the point, I don’t know why; I wasn’t in a rush, but whatever.

“Oh,” He said in a surprised tone as I got him out of zoning out, “Yeah, Yeah, sure.” He seemed nice, and gently took the paper from my fingertips, pulling out an ink pen from a small cup of pens and signing it with neat handwriting pretty fast.

“Thanks.” I said as I took it after he was finished, turning to find a seat but was stopped.

“Hey Ty,”  “Yes, sir?” “You can go ahead a take a seat at the front.” I nodded with a smile and saw where he had pointed at in front of me. There were 2 rows that all faced front, science materials neatly placed in the middle of each one. There were 5 desks on both sides, and a small hallway in between. Mr. Rivesta’s desk was at the top right corner of the class, and across from him was this weird shower thing-y that I didn't think much about. I used to in middle school though, I never found a use for it though. In middle school we never even did experiments that involved chemicals you’d need to ‘shower’ off. Sometimes I was even tempted to pull the hangy-thingy just to see the water come out of it, I can’t be the only one.

Lost in my thoughts about classroom showers, the room had gone quiet un-noticed [by me] and the lights went out. I was kinda confused that everyone was just reacting normally but then the projection screen -at the front of the classroom that hung over the middle of the white-board- turned on.

“Okay Class, how we’re your weekends?” Mr. Rivesta’s asked, walking over to the (right) side of the front desk –which was a long piece of granite that was cleaned up pretty neatly for a science room –and began to tap on the keys of a laptop that sat on the desk.

“Good.” “Awesome!” “Meh.” “Cool.” “It was great; I got to visit the mountains!”

I heard 2 girls in the back begin to talk about one of their ‘visit to the mountains’ and then the class started getting louder in conversation.

The teacher coughed loudly getting everyone’s attention and the room silenced, turning their attention to the screen. I looked beside me and noticed the chair was empty; I took this chance to put my backpack on the other side of the desk and take out my ‘science’ notebook and a led pencil.

In the next 10 minutes, Rivesta was going on about Metamorphosis, and I took notes from what I saw though I wasn’t really paying attention. The door creaked open and I turned my head to see the shades-and-pony-tail-guy walking in with the same bored expression on. I didn’t stare at him for too long because he started walking near me and my desk. He plopped on the seat next to him and pushed my backpack towards me, kinda shoving it in my face. I could tell he was pissed, anyone could. I wanted to tell this guy, ‘what the f*** is your problem?’ or something along the lines of that but I kept quiet. As long as he didn’t keep this bratty act up towards me we we’re cool I guess.

7:45 and we we’re ‘experimenting’ with test tubes. Orange juice and baking soda. I really had no idea of the point of it but it was more than what I ever did in middle school. I shook the test tube around and kinda sat there and watched it for a few seconds before a hand grasped it right out of my hand. I looked over to douche bag and he took it away and compared it to his, shaking them both.

“You could’ve asked for it.” “Okay.” I sighed, “Why’re you being such a douche?” He turned to me slowly, like a horror movie scene where everything goes quiet and there’s a small amount of movement from one person dramatically before shit goes down.

Not so much. He shook his head and set down the test tubes in their racks and lowered his shades a little bit. I hadn’t got to see his eyes, but he rubbed them as they were closed and pushed his shades right back up.

“Yeah, uh, sorry dude I’m just kinda out of it today.”

I know it was rude, but I scoffed.

“What?” He turned to me. “Ah, nothing.” He shrugged and looked forward, not really doing anything. He sighed and slouched, then leaned on the desk and looked over at me.

“What’s your name?” “Ty…”

He put his hand out, which was gloved (?), “Adam.”  I shook his hand and gave him a quick smile before the teacher came back at the front of the desk and announced us to start pouring out our test tubes at the sinks –which were in the back of the room.

In the last 5 minutes everyone got cleaned up and it was now 1 minute until the bell rang. I shoved my notebook into my backpack, dropping the pencil in there and swinging it over my shoulder, looking at the clock and watching it until the bell rang. I stood up and so did Adam, but turned around to me.

“Hey, what lunch do you have?”

“1.”

“Oh that’s awesome; you should sit with me and my friends. I’m sure they’d loved to meet you.” Adam smiled and walked off with the rest of the crowd. I followed along lastly, and I was smiling. A genuine smile. Adam was really nice, and if he actually DID want me to meet his friends, I started to get excited for lunch.