A Moonlit Union

A/N: You know what to do :D

❦❦❦

"Is this your own personal collar for me?" I teased as I raised the silver bracelet she'd placed around my wrist. We were casually lounging in the living room as if today was just a normal day.

"That's an Ilwani invention. As of now, only the royal Lupus pack have access to that. But, I happen to know how to make it too so I made you one. Soon, I can make one for the whole pack," Selena said, looking at the bracelet with pride.

"So what does it do?" I asked, curious.

Selena lifted her head from my shoulder. She stared at me giddily. "Let's try it so you will see! Shift now."

I stood up and started to remove my shirt but she shook her head. "Keep it," she said. Like a loyal pup, I followed her order. I shifted in front of her.

She crouched to me. "Now shift back."

Shifting back to my human form, I was surprised to see that I still had my clothes on. "Wow. This is convenient."

She laughed. "It is, isn't it?"

"Thank you, future wife," I said, cupping her face.

"You're welcome, future husband."

That night was a full moon. It was the only time our race could perform the mating ritual. It was said to be the time that Luna's awake to bless us with a lifetime of matrimonial bliss.

I went first to the venue. I had to congratulate the women in my pack for decorating the portion of the forest where Selena and I would exchange our vows. Scattered on the forest floor were white roses and lavender orchids. The trees were decorated with numerous yellow lights as if we'd summoned a thousand fireflies. A medium-sized bonfire was already started. Thick candles were placed on the ground as a makeshift pathway where Selena would walk towards me. 

I would lie if I say that I wasn't nervous. I was, but it was a good kind of anxiety. This was a moment in my life that I would surely treasure.

Scanning the environment and finding no fault in it, I said a silent gratitude to Luna for giving us the perfect weather.

I saw Maricar first, cradling their newborn child. Hazel, Selena's best friend was also with her. They were both beaming at me and their eyes were misty. They sidled to the side, giving me a perfect view of my mate. My heart made a sudden gallop and I didn't realize that I was holding my breath.

At her head was a crown of assorted flowers, perfectly arranged to highlight her beauty. Her hair was loose and I remembered the day when I first saw her, how it billowed freely on her back, and how my heart skipped when I saw her face. Her white dress was simple, with white lace sleeves up to her wrist, minimal embroidery on the bodice, and the skirt flowing freely down to her toes.

Sweet strains of classical music drifted through the pack as my mate walked slowly towards me. Her feet were bare just like the rest of us. An anklet made of tiny flowers decorated her right foot. Her eyes were locked on mine and I only realized that I was crying when Elias offered me a handkerchief. I chuckled in embarrassment and discreetly accepted the piece of clothing and wiped my face. Selena bit her lower lip and her eyes danced with amusement. Finally, she was at my side and I couldn't wait to be done with the ceremony.

Elias cleared his throat and looked at the two of us with pure happiness. "Tonight, we are all here to witness the union of Derek Hague, Alpha of the Black Claw Pack, to Selena Snow, Ilwani and a member of the Capricorn guild..."

The ceremony went on longer than usual for Elias had to narrate Luna's blessings as well as Ilwa's.

"This is the water from our sacred lake of the Gods. Drink from this cup and your union shall be blessed until the end of time." Elias offered the cup to Selena first. She drank from it then she offered it to me. I finished its entire content and handed it back to Elias.

"The Gods have witnessed your faith. May your family prosper." Elias turned to me and smiled. "You may now kiss the bride."

Finally.

I cupped Selena's face and kissed her softly on the lips. The whole pack cheered. One by one, they started shifting. As my pack chorused in a victorious howl, I took Selena's hand and led her deeper into the forest.

We both stared at the moonlit sky, appreciating its beauty. I then took her hands and looked solemnly in her eyes.

"I love you, Sel. I swear with everything that I have that I will make you happy and as long as you're with me, I will protect you with my life." Tears fell from her eyes and I wiped them with my thumb.

"I love you so much, Derek. I promise too that I will do everything to make you happy," she rasped, her voice filled with emotion.

We sealed that promise with a kiss. With the moon as our witness, we fulfilled the mating bond.