A Moon In Love

A/N: PLAY that MUSIC first :p

❦❦❦

"What's your name?" I asked as I guided her back to my cabin, holding her hand as we walked. I was a bit surprised to find her hand with small calluses. With her beauty, you would expect her to be someone of royal blood.

"Selena Snow. And you?"

I smirked. "You didn't hear my name in your dreams?"

She regarded me thoughtfully. "Ah yes, I think I know your name. Is it... Fungus? Stink? My memory fails me sometimes."

I threw my head back and laughed. It wasn't even that funny but she's just too adorable. "Derek Hague. I am the Alpha of this land," I said proudly.

She nodded. "And I am the Queen of all Vulgari."

"You don't believe me?" I asked, surprised.

She stopped walking and removed her hand from mine. I instantly felt the lost of contact and the urge to grab her hand back was too strong. She crossed her arms on her chest and gave me a pointed look. "I am not someone who's destiny would be that good as to be mates with an Alpha. I have the lowest rank in our guild so if you're lying to me now just to impress me then forget it. I'll just go."

She started to turn to go back to where we came from but I was quick to grab her arm. "I'm not lying. I am really the Alpha and I can't wait for you to meet my pack."

"Really?" she asked, her eyes widening.

Smiling, I took her hand once more. "Really. Come on, I'll prove it."

We were nearing the cabin when she slipped on a tiny rock. Thankfully, I was still holding her hand so I was able to catch her fall. She gave an awkward laugh. "Sorry. I'm a little bit clumsy."

"It's fine. As long as I'm here, I'll always catch you when you fall."

She laughed and punched my chest lightly. "You're cheesy. Are you really an Alpha?"

I chuckled in response. Elias, my Beta, was waiting for me on the front porch. I gave him a quick mind-link. 'Call me Alpha when we're near.'

"Alpha." Elias walked to us with a playful grin. I grinned back. Letting go of Selena's hand, I clasped Elias' right hand and hugged him with my left arm.

"Selena." I placed my hand on her back and gently urged her to come forward. "This is Elias, my Beta."

Selena tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and smiled at Elias.

"You're not kidding," she whispered to me.

"Why would I be?" I whispered in her ear. Turning to Elias with a smile, I said, "Elias, this is Selena Snow. My mate."

His eyes widened. "About damn time. You're growing old, Alpha," he teased.

The day was spent with Selena meeting all families in my pack. Everyone gave Selena a warm reception despite our difference in race. Some though gave me a pitying glance when Selena was not looking.

Elias introduced Selena to Maricar, his mate who was eight-months pregnant. Selena beamed at Maricar. "Can I touch it?" she asked, referring to Maricar's round belly.

Maricar smiled. "Sure."

Selena placed her hand on the woman's belly then she closed her eyes. After a moment, she stood up with an excited expression. "Would you like to know the gender?"

Maricar looked tentatively at Elias but her eyes were sparkling with anticipation. Elias nodded to Selena.

"It's a boy. Do you have a name prepared for him?" Selena asked.

"A boy," Maricar murmured in delight. "We'll name him Ethan after my father."

Selena smiled warmly. "That's a wonderful name."

"It is." Elias gazed tenderly at his wife.

We went on with more introductions. When Selena was occupied with a pup, Elias came to me with a much serious expression.

"The pack's a bit worried, Derek. If your mate is an Ilwani, how can you produce an heir? Who will be the next Alpha?" he asked, frowning. Interracial couples were rare, and their offspring were never born living. It was a fact known by all Vulgari.

I shrugged. I was too happy to have met my mate that I didn't really care if she was different from our kind. "Your son then. I'm sure he will be a great Alpha."

"But..." Elias faltered.

Patting Elias back, I stared into the horizon. "Luna must have plans for me, Elias. She gave me my mate and I'm already thankful for that."

Finally, after everyone met Selena, I brought her back to my cabin. With my nerves running haywire, I watched her reaction as she takes in my place. It was a rather dainty cabin, only meant for myself as I had long given up on finding a mate. What if she didn't like it? What if she didn't want to stay?

"Welcome home," I whispered softly in her ear.

She turned to me and I was surprised to see that her eyes were brimming with tears. She suddenly threw herself at me, wrapped her arms around me and buried her face on my chest.

"Thank You, Ilwa," she murmured.