Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

We did make it to the Stronghold that had sent out an SOS, considering the massive wall of wood that stretched for miles from all sides. There were watch towers posted at either side of what looked to be the entrance gate, and lights beamed down at our humvee.

"I'm surprised those didn't wake you any sooner," Hak said from the back, motioning toward the lights.

Those grand oak doors opened outward, and a man from the inside signaled for Wren to drive forward, to which he did. We all sat in silent apprehension as the car slowly slid to stop, then hesitatingly departed.

A man stepped out and shook Wren's hand, "Boy are we glad to see you boys. I'm Deck."

"Wren."

He introduced all of us, as we weren't all up for small talk at the moment, and within the next few minutes, managed to get us indoors with a warm bowl of stew in our hands.

From the looks of it beforehand, their Stronghold from within consisted of cabins spread out from all around and a larger gymnasium was situated at the center of their camp.

I merely ate in silence, all the while listening to Wren and Deck converse from beside me.

"Our main generator broke down about a few days ago and we've been running on the back up ever since. We broadcasted an SOS all out, but didn't think we'd so much as get a call from anyone from the outside. You said you guys were from the military base down south?"

"Yeah, one of our techs caught your broadcast. You mentioned that you delivered it all out, no body else intercepted you guys at all? Any allies?"

Deck shook his head, "No one. We're pretty secluded out here in the forest, a buddy of mine got this camp up and running before the fall. We don't have anybody but ourselves."

"I see," Wren paused, then gave a nod, "one of my guys can help you with the generator."

Deck's face instantly lit up, "That'd be awesome! We'll show ya'll to the area once you're up to it," he gave a shake of his head, astonished, "man, and I thought there weren't nothing but bad people outside these walls. Take your time settling in, I'll have one of my guys posted outside the doors to show you to the mech-room once you're ready."

Wren nodded, smiling broadly as Deck left the table. As soon as he was not within ear-shot, he turned toward us and whispered lowly, "I don't know if we should trust him."

"I was beginning to believe that you were still as gullible as before," I rolled my eyes, nonetheless, "but no worries. He wouldn't want to do anything with a military compound as big as Aegis."

Hak grinned tiredly, "Well he's right."

Wren nodded, "Then it's a go. We'll get them up and running, right Hudson?"

"You got it."

We all diverged into silence as we finished up our meals. I blinked as I shoveled a spoonful into my mouth, realizing how tired I actually was. I'd just woken up from a long nap and already, the exhaustion was creeping up on me again. I wondered if the mattresses here were comfortable, though I doubted it would matter. Something told me that I was going to be sleeping like a baby tonight.

We left the following afternoon, and Major Deck sent us off with a restock in the supplies we'd lost on the way over. The drive was fairly peaceful. Wren let me drive on the basis that he was fighting off sleep and no body else wanted to drive, and only if I promised not to go over eighty miles per hour— which I thought was ridiculous, considering that we were probably the only vehicle on the road.

Nonetheless, I kept my promise and drove for a total of five hours straight. The guys managed to sleep throughout the entire duration of the drive, and I was allowed the time to think to myself.