13: The Talk

I'm so sorry for not updating. I will post some more soon, I promise, so now as a little apology gift I have a lil' something for you. ENJOY! 

*     *     * 

 I can lead you to where you should go

And with the pace we're movin'

We take two steps back and one step forward    "

Lørdag, 2:48

That night would definitely be marked as one of the weirdest one in a while.

Eva still wasn't sure whether she believed his story. But at the same time, she had never seen Christoffer Schistad that vulnerable.

She thought that he really wanted just to sleep with her, but after his confession, he never went back to pushing her to do it. He didn't even mention it once.

Instead, they got comfortable on the couch and began talking the night away.

Redhead switched her legs, as one of them was starting to feel numb from being in one position for too long. Her eyes drifted back to meet his, as his lips were moving in telling the story.

"I cared about her."

Yes, somehow they were discussing his previous relationship. Chris wasn't trying to dodge the subject, he even brought it up himself.

Maybe he needed someone to vent to as his best friend wasn't here?

His statement made her furrow her brows, to which he seemed to be taken aback by. "Why are you so surprised?"

"Did you really?" She asked him, with a hint of doubt in her voice that he easily could catch on.

He chuckled. "Of course I did, we were together for over two years. It's hard not to care about someone when you're with them for so long."

In this saying, he was absolutely right. She could even apply it to herself and Jonas. But it was still weird hearing those words from him, and it wasn't that they were cringy. It's just that they were – words. And his actions spoke way louder than them.

"See, the thing is, I don't believe you." Eva simply stated, squinting her eyes at him, trying to carefully choose her words, but there wasn't any way around this topic. "You don't cheat on someone you care about over and over again, Chris. It's not only disrespectful, but also inconsiderate. You didn't care about her feelings at all."

Chris only shook his head at that. "I think I know whether I cared or not."

His answer made her laugh quietly. "Did she know? About you going around hooking up with girls from school?" She obviously hit a nerve, because he shifted uncomfortably, and for a second she thought that maybe he would end this conversation there. To her surprise, he began talking.

"She heard things. There were few times she asked me about it, but -"

"-but you always lied your way out, didn't you?" Eva cut him off. She was getting way into this whole thing. She felt as if she was a police officer interrogating a guilty person.

"It's not like that."

"Then how? I honestly don't understand. If she knew, then why would she stay with you for so long?"

He put his hand on his jaw, rubbing it lightly, "Because she loves me."

Eva opened her eyes a little bit at the use of present time. "Loves?"

"Yeah, she's still trying to get back together."

"And?" Now she was intrigued and wanted more information.

Chris sighed loudly, looking straight into her eyes. "And as you can see, I'm sitting here, with you."

Mohn groaned in frustration, putting her hands on her temples, massaging it. "I think that alcohol burned my last few brain cells, because this whole situation is just too weird for me to understand."

"Iben is my first serious girlfriend. Being with her was easy, fun. I mean, she's beautiful, caring, and smart. She's everything any guy would want. But she's not what I want, not anymore. I have no idea why she broke up with me after Halloween. She didn't see us with her own eyes, she just heard about it from her friends. I honestly didn't expect it. It came out of nowhere. But at the same time, I was relieved."

It also seemed quite weird to her. Eva heard many things floating around the school about him hooking up random girls, at basically every party he went to.

Sometimes even the ones Iben was also at. So, surely, those gossips eventually had to hit his ex's ears as well, and she still stayed with him.

She knowingly agreed to be treated like that, to not notice what he was doing behind her back.

So to be honest, after this whole thing with their kiss happened, Eva thought that it'd be just another rumor that would die down as soon as something more exciting happened.

But instead, Mohn was jumped and caused their break-up.

"So, you broke up because of me?" She blurted out before she could register her own words, still lost in her own thoughts.

"You could say that." Chris said, sending her one of his devilish smiles. "Nobody knows that, but we got back together."

Eva almost jumped from her seat. She wasn't usually a very gossipy person, but holy hell, was he giving her the juiciest ones. "Are you serious? When?!"

"Before graduation. And then I went to William's party, and I hooked up with Sara."

And there he was, just casually throwing some stuff out again, making her mouth gape open.

"Pepsi Sara? You said that yo-"

She recalled him saying that he would never touch her with a stick. Yeah, she could see that, he clearly touched her with something else.

Chris laughed out loud. "I didn't say that I have never hooked up with her. I said that I didn't do it that night she was talking about."

"Wow, you really like to walk in circles, don't you?"

"Yeah, that's actually my specialty." As they stopped laughing at this, he continued talking. "We broke up again. And then the night she wanted to talk, someone told her about us leaving the club together. Iben went crazy on me the next day. She kept asking me why I keep choosing you over her. And I couldn't answer."

His tone changed, he was talking more carefully, compared to his comfortable and free monologues before.

"Well, don't you want to get back with her? Did you tell her there wasn't anything between us?" Eva asked. Was she really wanting an answer?

Was she ready to hear it?

"I didn't."

His answer was exactly what she expected, but it still was something weird. She moved uncomfortably in her seat, her gaze never leaving his.

"Why?"

"Because- I don't agree with that." 

*     *     *