Chapter 1: Second year

"Lily!" A familiar female voice was calling, and Lily turned around and screamed.

"Bella!"

"Hey Lils," greeted Arabella, watching her friend's red hair soar in the wind as she approached her. "Nice vacation, eh?"

"Best I've ever had," said Lily, smiling. She was starting to remember the events of the summer.

Lily was humming to herself as she watched the birds sing sweet songs on a nearby tree. It was always a hobby of hers, to watch birds. Suddenly, out of nowhere, something whooshed by, causing her to near fall of the edge of her bed. Now soaring through the sky were a couple of broomsticks. Lily grinned, thinking that it was probably Arabella coming to save her from Petunia. Maybe Violet and Jennifer, her two other friends at Hogwarts, had come too.

As soon as she opened her window to let them in, it was no other than James Potter, her arch-nemesis at Hogwarts. Of course, he wasn't as bad as Severus Snape, the avid Gryffindor hater, who also, unexpectedly and unfortunately, had an enormous crush on Lily.

"What are you doing here, Potter?" she hissed, glaring at the boy.

"I'm allowed to save you from Petunia, aren't I?" He grinned that lop-sided grin of his. James Potter was your typically average popular boy, who was entering his second year like Lily. He had jet-black hair, which ran untidy all over the place, called "the untamed forest" by Lily. He also had soft brown eyes, which shined with mischief and bravery. He was thin and wiry, but he was very tall. Followed by him was none other than his first-hand mate, sidekick, and best friend, Sirius Black. Sirius looked a lot like his best friend, except he had long black hair and dark black eyes that had a mysterious glitter in them, but nevertheless, they were just as mischievous as James.

Remus followed his two friends, smiling at Lily gently. He was liked best of all among the girls (Lily's group of friends). He had light brown hair, steady gray eyes, and a thin, tired face. Yet he had a gentle air around him, perhaps a bit eerie, but he was always so gentle, so kind, like a great healer. Peter, sadly, was gliding jerkily through the air, trying to hold on to his dear life. James and Sirius offered to let him share a broomstick with either of them, but Peter jauntily refused. He seemed to want to prove to Lily, who was the smartest witch of their age, no doubt, that he was something. Maybe not a lot, but something.

Arabella, Violet, and Jennifer had come soaring right after the boys and landed in Lily's room as well. They rode on a broomstick - Lily assumed it was a large, family-sized one, and greeted Lily with hugs.

"Girls," Sirius had muttered, "always showing such affection." But he had taken the statement back right away after Arabella gave him some 'affection' of her own.

Lily laughed. "Yep. Best summer I ever had."

"Best summer you'll ever have," corrected Arabella. "It's obvious the first summer after the first year is more special than any other."

"Sure Bells- Hey, there's Sirius!" She emphasized the last word, sending her best friend in fits.

Arabella and Sirius had their little 'snog session', as Lily often called it, and her emerald eyes traveled around until it sank into a pair of brown ones. 

"James Potter," she said coolly.

"Lily Evans," James said, just as coolly. Then he grinned again and motivated toward Remus, who was desperately trying to fight off a flirting Jennifer. "Looks like Dean's got it bad."

"Shut up Potter," snapped Lily irritably. "It's not every day Jennifer gets taken with a boy. In fact, she hates boys so much that I'm surprised she's even talking civilly to Remus."

"Violet's paired off with our Peter too," said James, pretending to sigh wistfully, as he watched Peter awkwardly compliment a giggling Violet.

"Everyone's paired off," replied Lily gloomily, and she looked rather sad. 

"No one's as cute as Lily Evans and James Potter," interrupted Sirius, walking towards them with a grin. He ducked as a shower of sparks hit him, and straightened up, with Arabella cuddling next to him.

"Sirius Black, don't you dare-" Began Lily, but James kissed Lily unexpectedly. Lily screamed and started to threaten him, but he just grinned and winked at Sirius. "All right, what's going on here?" asked Lily loudly. 

Arabella shrugged. "Who knows. Boys are weird anyway. They never have an explanation for any of their actions." An exclamation of 'hey!' came from the two boys, and both girls grinned.

"Let's go find Jennifer and Violet," suggested Lily. 

When both girls left, Sirius smiled at his friend. "so... you think Lily Evans is totally gorgeous?"

James glowered at him. "Did I say that?"

"You want to."

He groaned. "Sirius leave me alone."

Sirius shrugged. "Fine. But I'm telling you- If I break up with Bella, then I'm going after Lily."

James waved his hand impatiently. "Whatever."

"Hey show more consideration for your wife!"

James' jaw, literally, dropped to the floor. "B-but h-how d-did you know?" He stuttered. Then he frowned and asked, "Did Evans tell you?"

"Nope. I-er-accidentally overheard your conversation with Dumbledore. But Lily already knows that I know."

James groaned. "Why am I always the last to know everything?"

"Because, Jamie-boy, everything bad always happens to you first."

He snorted. "Yeah- like falling 'in love' with Deanna Jackson, probably the most hated girl in Gryffindor."

"She's attractive."

"Not to me."

"Ah, now only going for the redheads, are we?" Sirius smirked.

"You go for the brown-curled ones," retorted James. Then his smile widened. "Didn't like Arabella too much on the first day back on the train, did we?"

Sirius coloured. "None of your business, James Potter."

James pretended to gasp. "Is Sirius Black being...Serious?"

His best friend shook his head and said bleakly, "ha ha."

"What's so funny?" Lily had come back, closely tailed by her three friends. 

"Nothing," James muttered.

"You're always so shy around Lily, James, are you sure nothing's up?" asked Arabella slyly.

Violet coughed, which made Jennifer automatically say, "Remus, can I talk to you for a moment?"

"No." Remus was right behind James and Sirius, causing the latter to jump. "I will not, Miss Jennifer Dean." as if expecting it all along, Jennifer's face was impassive. 

"We're going to Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor," said Arabella hurriedly. "We have-er-a project to finish." Then they all scurried off to the ice cream parlor, leaving Lily and James alone, standing there.

"They planned this whole thing up!" cried Lily angrily. "I knew Bella was up to something- she was writhing and squirming all over the place at breakfast."

James stared at Lily. Sirius was right, he thought. Lily Evans is gorgeous. Most beautiful girl i've ever seen in my life- but we're still enemies, of course. He thought he heard a snort in the back of his head that said, "Yeah right, Jamie-boy."

"I'm not Jamie-boy and I don't think Lily Evans is gorgeous!" Lily stared in surprise at James' outburst, and the boy blushed furiously. "Sorry," he mumbled.

A/N so guys this is the first chapter of the second book. if you havent read the first then i suggest you do!!

Hope you enjoy reading it as much as i love writing it! :)