As We Go Along (Micky)

“I can tell by your face

That you're looking to find a place

To settle your mind and reveal who you are...” the radio played.

I looked over at Micky, who was drifting off to sleep. I walked over to the window and looked out. It was snowing hard. We couldn't go anywhere for quite some time, not that I'd want to, or anything like that.

I sat down in the same chair as him. His eyes opened slightly and he put his arm around me. I stared into the fireplace. The fire was crackling quite loudly. “Mick,” I whispered.

“What?” he whispered back. He yawned.

“You are so cute when you're sleeping.”

“You woke me up to tell me that?” he asked.

I had to admit it did sound ridiculous when he phrased it like that. “I guess so,” I said.

We sat in silence and listened to the radio some more.

“...And you shouldn't be shy,

For I'm not gonna try

To hurt you or heal you or steal your star...

I yawned as well. This song was making me sleepy. I could see why Micky almost fell asleep. My eyes flickered closed.

“...Open your eyes,

Get up off your chair,

There's so much to do in the sunlight...”

I took the lyrics to the song as an order. My eyes opened and I pulled myself and Micky up to our feet. We began to dance around the room to the slow love ballad.

“This is nice,” I said.

“I would agree, Mahaley,” Micky said.

I laughed and leaned my head on his shoulder.

“...Give up your secrets,

And let down your hair,

And sit with me here by the firelight...”

We twirled around the room for quite some time. Finally Micky pulled us back down to the chair. His arm was around me, just like before.

“...Why think all about

Who's gonna win out?

We'll make up our story as we go along...”

Yes, we'll make up our story, the story of us, as we go along, I thought. I yawned again.

“...There's so little time

For us to try to rhyme,

And so many highways to travel upon...”

My eyes slowly began to close.

“...Open your eyes,

Get up off of your chair,

There's so much to do in the sunlight...”

I ignored the “orders” of the song this time. I was just too tired. My eyes closed completely.

“...Give up your secrets,

And let down your hair,

And sit with me here by the firelight.”

I felt Micky gently kiss my forehead. I smiled as I fell into a deep slumber.