Saturday's Child (Mike)

“Hey Catherine, check out that guy over there,” my friend shouted to me.

“Which one?” I asked, straining my eyes to see. There were at least four guys in the general direction that she pointed.

“The tall one with the green hat.”

“Oh, wow,” I said. He was really good looking. I almost fainted at the sight. It was June of 1968 and I was staring right at the most gorgeous guy I've ever seen. “What's his name?” I whispered.

“Michael Nesmith of The Monkees. They have a concert tonight and I happen to have an extra ticket for you, with backstage passes!” she exclaimed with a sly smile.

I ignored the smile because I was just so happy I was going to see Michael again.

“Most girls go after Davy. You have a chance with Mike.”

I ignored that comment of hers as well. She dragged me to her house and made me wear her best dress. “You want him to notice you,” she said. We went to the concert and I was surprised to find out that we had front row seats. Of course, I was pleasantly surprised at that. The Monkees came out on stage and I immediately recognized Mike.

Everyone was up on their feet screaming, most for Davy, so I decided to do that as well, but for Mike, of course. The began to play their first song and I was glad that I was in the front. If I was in the back of the auditorium I wouldn't be able to hear anything.

The first song was called “Saturday's Child.” My friend nudged me because she knew that I was born on a Saturday.

“Monday had a sad child,

Always feeling low down.

Tuesday had a dream child,

She's always on the go

So I'm in love with Saturday's child.

Every time you take her out at night

(She drives me wild)

You want to kiss and hold her way up tight,

(Gonna spend my time)

You can tell the future's looking bright.

(Making sure that Saturday's child is mine)

If you love a Wednesday,

You live your life apart now.

And if you love a Thursday,

She's gonna break your heart

So I'm in love with Saturday's child.

Every time you hold her close you'll see

(She drives me wild)

You can feel the furor that's gonna be,

(Gonna spend my time)

Now the future has a guarantee.

(Making sure that Saturday's child is mine)

Seven days of the week made to choose from,

But only one is right for me.

I know that Saturday's got what it takes, babe, I can tell by the way she looks at me.

SOLO

Ohh...

Friday likes a good life,

She'll take you for a ride, now.

And Sunday makes a good wife,

She wants to be your bride

So I'm in love with Saturday's child.

Every time you take her out at night

(She drives me wild)

You want to kiss and hold her way up tight

(Gonna spend my time)

You can tell the future's looking bright.

(Making sure that Saturday's child is mine)

(Saturday's child)

Every time you take her out at night

(She drives me wild)

You want to kiss and hold her way up tight

(Gonna spend my time)

You can tell the future's looking bright.

(Making sure that Saturday's child is mine)

(Saturday's child).” The drummer, whose name I didn't know, sang lead in this song, but Mike had background vocals. He sounded amazing. I loved his sweet voice with the little country twang in it. He sang like an angel. The concert was soon over, but that meant I got to go backstage. I was super excited about that. “Come on!” I tugged on my friend's sleeve. We left our seats and went backstage. We showed our passes to security and walked about, looking for Mike's dressing room. We finally found it and waited by the door, waiting for him to come out.

“He's just been single for a few months now.”

“Really?” I asked.

“Yep.”

“I feel bad for doing this now,” I said.

“Don't. You two are perfect for each other, Catherine.”

“Okay.”

Mike came out of the dressing room then. “Hi, I'm Catherine,” I said, shaking his hand.

“Mike,” he said.

“Oh, I know who you are,” I laughed.

“She was born on a Saturday. She's Saturday's Child,” my friend said.

“Hush!” I scolded her. She winked at me and left.

“Saturday's Child, huh?”

“Yeah, I guess,” I said shyly.

“Well, Miss Catherine, how would you like to go on a date with me this Saturday?” he asked in his beautiful accent. He gave me one of his very rare smiles.

“I would love it,” I said, trying not to sound over-enthusiastic.

“Great!” he linked arms with me and we left the building hand in hand.