Chapter 22: Spiteful Serpent

If I tell you all my secrets, they won't be secret.

Mae

I was surrounded. I couldn't think of anything. I couldn't escape. There were cop cars all around and a chopper above me. I needed an escape plan but had none. I tried thinking but the chaos around me became too distracting to think of anything sufficient. They would shoot before I could even put the car in drive and that would end both of our lives. They've already warned me they'd use lethal forces. I couldn't risk moving. It wasn't only my life on the line now.

"Mae, just turn off the car." I put my hand on the key, ready to turn off the ignition, but Alec had stopped me.

"The Devil," Alec gave as a last resort. I knew what he meant and for the tiniest bit, I considered it but knew it was impossible. Alec was crazy. I think he fried a bit trying to help me escape, but it didn't stop me from considering it once more. 

"Are you crazy? Mae, you can't," Zack fumed, turning half his body toward me. I looked at him, and his eyes tore through mine. He was worried and angry that I would even consider something of the sort, but I didn't have any other options. I wouldn't get us arrested. "You know who the devil is."

"Damien."

"Exactly. Last I heard, he hates The King!" Zach whispered-yelled, the two veins in his neck popping out.

"I have no other choice, and they're close by," I looked at Zach, and I knew we both had the same despairing look. We were defeated, had no other option. "Call the Serpents, Alec." The cops waited. I knew they were planning so it gave me time.

I couldn't call Billy because I was still on the Southside. Billy only had a say on the Eastside, this wasn't his part, so he had no say in whether I got to walk away from this or not. Zach was right; Damien did hate The King. Even if Billy asked of a favor for me to Damien, I doubted Damien would have vouched for me to the cops and got them off my back. Damien wanted me off the streets just as much as the cops did.

"Mae, you have no idea what you're doing. You know what he's gonna want! If you don't give it to him, he could kill you without even knowing the truth!"

I knew Damien was just like the rest of them. He wanted to know who was under the hood. Curiosity was a greatness that lusted for others, spreading disease within them and made them eager to find the truth. Damien was one of those people. He wanted to know the truth, but he didn't act as others had. He waited, and I knew this was the moment he had been waiting for.

"I know what I'm doing, Zach. I'm not gonna let you go to jail as an accomplice because of me! You are going to have a future even if I'm not apart of it. It's a lose-lose situation. Either I tell him, and he hates me, or I don't, and he kills me," I reasoned. "I'll tell him before he kills me. I wouldn't do that do you."

He shook his head, but he looked like he was thinking. I heard cars and motorcycles roaring. He was coming.

I saw some threatening the cops, telling them to move back and the cops listened. There were more Serpents than cops. There had to have been hundreds of Serpents. I turned off my car and wait for him.

Damien showed up as they held the cops off. The Serpents didn't let the cops leave. I figured it was a precaution just in case Damien didn't want to make a deal with me. I started thinking about everything that could give me away if I walked out in front of Damien. I was going to have to walk out with Zach because I needed someone to speak for me.

Our height difference. That's what he could notice. Damien could figure out the height difference then understand that I didn't speak. He'll connect those two pieces between the King and with me.