Chapter 30: Spiritual Split

Listen to your own voice, your own soul. Too many people listen to the noise of the world, instead of themselves.

Mae

"Mae, wake up," I heard and rushed to a sitting position. I looked around, using the light that came in my room door from the hallway, and saw Zach standing on the side of my bed. "It's okay. It's okay." I took a deep breath after being scared that he was waking me up for another reason and felt my head pound from being woken up too fast.

"What happened then?" I asked. Zach was right. I hated being scared every time I woke up. I hated feeling like imminent danger was near. I looked at him, waiting for him to answer, and noticed his eyes were closed as he swayed side to side. "Zach?"

"Huh?" He asked when he woke back up, opening his eyes. He looked at me confused and rubbed his eyes. "Damien called."

"Is he okay?" I asked, throwing the blanket off of me and sitting at the edge of my bed, scared that something bad might have happened to Damien.

"He told to me... to tell you... that he texted you," Zach mumbled, half asleep. He laid on my bed, grabbing the blanket and covered himself.

"What do you mean?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrow and grabbed my phone, checking the notifications but there was just one.

Meet me at the beach, where we did our project. -D

"Tell him no," Zach grumbled, half asleep as he peered over my shoulder. I pulled my phone away, and he laid back down, laughing. "He woke me up, he deserves it. Who wakes someone up at one in the morning?" My eyes burned as I blinked and looked at the time.

Meet him at the beach at one in the morning? "You think it's a prank?" I asked him, and he shrugged, being useless as he started falling back to sleep.

I got up and headed to my restroom to wash my face and brush my teeth. After I finished the two tasks, I walked to my closet, thinking of every possibility why Damien would want to talk to me now. Did he want answers and couldn't wait until school? Was he going to yell at me? Was he mad at me?

I got dressed and walked out of my closet. "You're going?" Zach mumbled with his eyes closed, snuggling with my blanket.

"Yeah. Might as well face the rejection... or yelling in person," I told him, and he smiled, half asleep.

"Want me to go with you?" He mumbled, not opening his eyes or making a move to get up.

"No, it's okay. Probably better if I go alone," I told him and grabbed my phone off my nightstand. "Want me to bring your phone, so you can hear your alarm?"

"No, if I don't make it to school..." he trailed off, shrugging his left shoulder as he laid on his right side.

"You have football. Your coach will be mad," I reminded him, and he groaned loudly as he dragged himself off the bed with his arms hanging limply to his side, and shuffled angrily out the door.

"I hate football, I'm dropping out," he snapped, and I laughed, knowing it was the sleep talking. I walked out of my room, toward the front door, and grabbed my keys off the entry table.

I was nervous meeting with Damien. I looked up at the sky as I walked outside and saw the moon and the stars. I kept looking up the entire walk to my car, and the worries and what if's stopped. I unlocked my car and got in, but the thoughts started back up once again. I sighed as I started the car and backed out of the driveway, driving down our dirt path, and toward the beach.