Chapter 3: Stranger's Surprise

I may be quiet, but I have so much on my mind.

Mae

"You're worthless. You're nothing," Mitch started yelling at me. I didn't want to cry because of his hurtful words, but they were so mean. "That's why your mother left us because you're so damn annoying! Your voice is a disgrace. You're such a damn burden."

I let the waterworks go, and they didn't want to stop. I missed my mom so much. I needed her in my life, but I guess she didn't need me in her life.

"Please stop," I whispered. I never spoke normally after my mother left only in a whisper.

"Shut up, I should kill you! You make my blood BOIL!" He roared in a fit of rage and came after me with a knife, slicing my leg. I wasn't thinking; I let out a shrilling scream as the knife went deeper, making my blood run on the floor more than it should have.

"It was just a dream," I whispered to myself as I woke up and sat in a sitting position. I heard the door open, so I backed away but it was just Zach.

"Three hours until school," Zach whispered, and I nodded. I sighed as I remembered I didn't get a backpack.

"I need a backpack," I whispered to him.

"I have football practice," he told me with an apologetic look on his face.

"I can drop you off. Then I can get a backpack," I told him quietly, and he nodded before walking out.

I threw the blanket off of me and saw the scar on my left leg. It was in the middle of my thigh but if I wore a dress that went to my mid-thigh, only the bottom of my scar will show.

I don't feel self-conscious with my body image because I know my body isn't bad looking, so I could wear dresses that went to my mid-thigh without feeling embarrassed but if I showed my scars then I would feel embarrassed. It's a different type of insecurity I feel.

I didn't care if I showed my scars to Zach; he has similar ones, and I trusted him. But just because I could wear dresses, doesn't mean I do. I still like to hide.

I like to take showers at night after I work out, so I didn't need to take one now. I decided on black jeans, my high tops, and a grey hoodie. My hair is naturally a little wavy, so I don't do anything to it.

I put on some light makeup which consists of a little foundation only on my blemishes such as acne scars on my temples and two red pimples on my chin.

I didn't have any bruises on my face because Mitch never really hits my face, except for the last time when he slapped me but that didn't leave much. Just a little purple bruise on my lower lip.

When I fight, I don't bruise easy but when Mitch hits me, he leaves bruises. He does the rest of the damage from the neck and lower. If he hits my face, people would ask questions.

I lifted my arm to the doorknob and felt a slight pain flare-up from my side, but I ignored it and opened the door. It wasn't from Mitch, it was from a fight I had this previous Saturday.

"Mitch is gone!" Zach shouted. I walked out and went to the kitchen. My brother was sitting at the table eating his favorite cereal, Captain Crunch.

After that dream, I didn't have much of an appetite, and I wasn't a breakfast type of person, so I just grabbed an apple.

"Do you have lunch money for today?" I asked my brother. He just nodded, but I knew he didn't, so I handed him twenty dollars just in case.