Chapter One

Rain forms rivers as it trickles down the glass of the rather dirty bus window. The image is slightly blurred due to condensation on the dry side of Namjoon's reflection. He chuckles softly to himself at the dramatic image, wondering how many fictional lives begin with that exact frame. Looking down almost guiltily, he thinks that his own story would never begin that simply. Too much had already happened in his life. Perhaps, his story would be of his teenage years when he chose to put aside an easy, ignorant life and, in turn, giving up his innocence to magic. Or would he just be a side-character in the main plot of his friends' traumatic lives? He nods carefully to himself; it would definitely be one of those. But, as is his norm for the way back from the library, he will pretend that his story is some typical comedy or perhaps a romance if he's lucky enough and that this is the beginning of an easy, ignorant plot-line.

Deep-purple waves shine magnificently in the artificial bus lights. The colour contrasts perfectly with seemingly soft, tanned skin. The stranger holds a book tightly to her chest, but Namjoon can't see what it is. His head tilts slightly to the side as he wonders how this girl is so hypnotising. She rises to her feet and the warlock jumps, realising he had been staring for the past couple of stops. As she turns slightly and looks behind her, he immediately flicks his gaze to the side, not wanting to appear creepy. As she hops down the steps and onto the ground, Namjoon watches her again, walking down the path that leads to his house... Wait...

"Excuse me! Stop the bus!" The clumsy warlock almost trips over his own feet as he runs to the front of the large vehicle. "This is my stop! I'm sorry I didn't notice. I was... Distracted..." Namjoon smiles apologetically at the bus driver who sighs and nods, bringing the bus to a screeching halt and opening the doors once again.

"Try to remember next time, kid." The man sighs, shaking his head as Namjoon quickly exits thre vehicle. The warlock thinks he should be slightly offended at being called 'kid', considering he is in his mid-twenties, but decides not to dwell on it. Instead, he thinks of the purple-haired girl. He runs to catch up, hoping that they could perhaps walk home together and share in some mindless small-talk. To his dismay, he sees her cutting into a very long, private drive. He thinks it would be incredibly creepy to approach her now, and sighs to himself. Of course, an easy, ignorant plot-line would be far too simple.

***

Shin sighs, already pretty pessimistically unhopeful, as she presses each letter slowly but firmly: T, H, E, _, H, I, T, C. She stops, scrolling down the small list before clicking on her favourite book of all time: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. As per usual, the name 'Kim Namjoon' flashes mockingly at her from the library computer screen. Why this man doesn't have the mere decency to think 'Oh, someone else might want to read this book. I shouldn't take it out for six months repeatedly,' Shin cannot explain. She decides that she will confront him today, as he is due to bring the book back, or so the screen tells her, in less than an hour. She smirks, extending her fangs and running her tongue over one smooth, shiny tooth. Of course, she would never actually bite a human, never again at least, but she can definitely scare some basic manners into him. 

A conversation drifting through the bookshelves from the front desk piques the girl's interest and she peers over a few sets of books towards the librarian and the man talking to her. "So, I decided to just buy my own copy. It seemed unfair that I'm hogging it for myself. Other people must want to read it too! It's a great book." He beams. Shin tilts her head finding his smile rather cute. Maybe she won't threaten to drain him after all... She continues to wait, feeling like a cat on the prowl and ready to pounce any moment. She carefully watches the librarian scanning books and glares at the back of Kim Namjoon's head as he takes a small pile of books over to a desk and finally answers his agonizingly loud phone. She sees hitchhiker's drop into the 'to be sorted' basket and in a second is by its side, grabbing it before anyone else can get their grimy hands on the hardback copy.