24| Late

November 2016

Kristen was pacing in her living room, her anxiety getting the best of her. If it kept getting higher she was gonna explode. At the sound of her intercom she was startled, but immediately went to the front door to open the gate, then back to her pacing. She heard the door open and close, and then Rob walking into the room. Her feet stopped and she stared at him standing there, his hands in his jeans pockets, looking around the open space.

"She's taking a nap." She told him knowing who he was looking for. In an instant his face relaxed.

"Why did you text me for then?" He asked her frankly, not getting what he was doing here since obviously their three years old daughter was okay, sleeping upstairs.

Kristen was biting her thumb, her eyes never settling anywhere. Her anxiety was flooding the room and Rob was starting to feel it too. Not hesitating he walked closer to her, and when their eyes met Kristen was ready to burst into tears. That is why he took her into his arms, not caring if she was against any physical contact between them. Kristen let herself be held and cried for a minute before pushing herself out of his reach. Turning her back to him and looking through the sliding doors windows, she whispered to him.

"I'm late."

The atmosphere in the room got heavy. Robert wasn't dumb and he understood what those words meant. Especially after that night they had, they had talked about it then too.

"Okay." He had no idea what to say. "Do you want me to go buy a test or something?" Scratching the back of his neck he watched her turn around, then moved her hand to the kitchen. Walking there he could see a bag and guessed she was prepared.

He took the boxes in his hands trying to process what was happening right now. There was a possibility that his ex was pregnant. Having another child with Kristen was not what was bothering him, but rather the circumstances they were in.

"I love our daughter. So much." Kristen started talking after joining in the kitchen and leaning against the counter next to him. "But I can't do this again."

"Don't." Robert stopped her. "I don't wanna have that conversation again Kristen. Take the test." Not wasting time he put the boxes in her hands and willed her to go to the bathroom. The faster they knew the better he would be about the uncertainty of his future right now.

Kristen left the kitchen to the downstairs bathroom. She was anxious just to open that damn box. This tiny piece of plastic held her future. If it was negative, that would such a relief. But then, after the birth of her first born she thought she could get through hours of pain to have a second child. Three years was not that big of a gap between siblings. No. She couldn't think like that. No matter the outcome she would deal with it.

Doing her business, she then washed her hands and let the two pregnancy tests on the counter, and joined Rob back in the kitchen. They both sat silently. Waiting.

"Mummy!" A loud cry from upstairs suddenly disturbed their peace. Kristen moved but Rob stopped her, silently asking if he could go. She nodded and let him deal with whatever their daughter was in need for.

Resting her head in her right hand, the other one doing round motion on the kitchen island, she thought back to her tiny baby girl. A smile appeared on her face. She was the joy of her life.

Giggling brought her back to the present and she observed father and daughter making silly faces to each other. That sight too warmed her heart. Rob was holding her on his hips and sat back down near her. She rested her head in the neck of Rob, obviously still half asleep.

"She had a bad dream." Rob told her explaining the reason behind her scream. Kristen was not even shocked over this news, it wasn't the first time it had happened.

Not resisting her urge she stroke her shoulder length, blonde hair and Laelynn hummed as a response to her mum soothing her.

"Mummy?" She whispered and opened her blue eyes, so much like Rob's. "I need to go pee-pee." Kristen smiled at her.

"Okay. Come on." Rob let her down and watched them walk to the bathroom. His daughter was so unique and cute.

"Can you wait outside?" She shyly asked Kristen. When she got allowed to go alone, she did what she had to do and then called her mum to help her wash her hands. Kristen was focused on her task while her daughter was humming to herself and looking everywhere.

"What's the plus sign for, mummy?" Laelynn asked a simple question for a three and a half years old little girl, but to Kristen it was the scariest thing. "Mummy?" Her voice was worried because Kristen had stopped rinsing her hands and was blankly staring at her reflection. As much as she could she moved out from between her mother and the bathroom counter and ran back to Rob.

"Daddy!" She was screaming while running to him and Rob immediately jumped out of his seat and caught her on her way to the kitchen. "Mummy-"

Her eyes were watering and she just rambled 'mummy'. Keeping her in his arms he entered the bathroom and found Kristen on her knees in front of the sink, the water still running.  He turned off the tap and tried to put down his baby girl but she wasn't bulging and tighten her grip around his neck.

"Kristen. Baby." He got down on his knees too and watched Kristen raise her hand, which was holding her pregnancy test. A positive one.

Both adults didn't utter a word, only the sniffling of their baby girl was heard. Tossing the stick on the floor, far away from her, Kristen focused on her daughter and talked to her softly until she let go of Rob and willingly went into her arms.

_____
Baby #2 is happening.
What are your thoughts about this?