5| Spring Arrival

April, 22th 2013

Kristen was once again in the nursery, adjusting a few last things or checking that everything was ready for her upcoming baby. This was a situation she had found herself in a lot for the last month. From all the books she had read during her pregnancy, she knew what she was doing was called 'nesting'. Rob also knew not to bother her when she started her round around the house. He interrupted her once, and that definitely didn't end well between the two them. That was why he was currently on the phone on the patio, where he could still hear if Kristen called him.

For the past two weeks he had been alert at all times. He was anxious over the fact that Kristen's due date was a week ago, and here they were still at home, with no baby. No matter how much Kristen told him that nothing was wrong, he couldn't help himself.

He finally hung up with his mother, who had been in Los Angeles for the past month with his dad. Entering back inside through the sliding doors he could hear Kristen cursing upstairs. He stopped for a second, wondering if it was the usual one or one that indicated she was hurt. Then he heard her gushing over one of their dog so he continued on in the kitchen to make them some late lunch.

"Baby!" Rob yelled from the bottom of the stairs. "I made some lunch. Are you hungry?" Leaning against the stairs bannister he waited a few seconds, until her silence awaken his distress. He was ready to go upstairs when she appeared at the top of them.

Kristen joined him in the kitchen. If he hadn't called her she would have stayed up there loosing track of time. Eating the nice salad he made her she looked him over, not missing the frown between his eyes. When she was done she took their plates and cleaned up the kitchen.

"Don't you wanna take a nap?" Rob asked her when he realised she was gonna keep up on cleaning every room of the house.

"I'm good." She smiled at him and kept on with her chores.

"Hey." He said after a short silence to gain back her attention. "Are you sure you wanna do it here? It's never too late for the hospital" Kristen sighed and rested her hands on the counter, her back to him.

"It's perfectly safe, I told you. Even the midwife said it." She put a hand on her stomach and turned around. "Come here." She waved him to match her words. Taking his hands into hers she put them on her belly. "You feel that? It means the baby's really comfy in there and will get out when the time is right."

She let go of his hands and grabbed the back of his neck to bend his face down to hers. Of course she knew he was worried, not only because he told her, but she knew him. And also it was totally normal. She would be the one to do all the work, and all he wanted was for her to be in a safe environment. He was the total definition of an anxious dad-to-be.

They tried to appease each other in anyway they could. Her by always expressing her physical well-being. And him by ensuring she was not going overly crazy. Since the due date had been passed they didn't meet up with their friends or family. They stayed the both of them in their cocoon, 100% enjoying their really official last moments together as a couple. Soon enough they'd be a family of three.

As a ritual Kristen lotioned and hummed to her belly, while Rob watched with an intense fascination. When she was done he joined her on the bed and spooned her. Breathing in her hair, he passed an arm around her waist to rest on her swollen belly, always in the hope of feeling a kick.

Kristen rarely felt comfortable sleeping in the same position all night long, but she always let Rob's hand in contact with her skin.

"Kristen." Rob was laying on his stomach his right hand on her and whispered to her. He turned his head on the right to be able to see her. In the darkness of the room he guessed she was still sleeping, so he closed them back. But a few minutes later he got disturbed by the same sensation against his hand. "Baby, what-ugh." He stopped himself and tried to blindly find the light switch. A soft light brighten up the room, and he finally got a look at Kristen.