20| Parting ways [short scene]

[They celebrated Laelynn's first birthday, with happiness and love. Also Rob turning 28.]

Summer 2014

"You don't have to leave." Rob glanced at her confused. "I mean. Until you find somewhere else to live. You can still stay here." She averted her eyes from his burning stare. Of course she wasn't throwing him out, she wasn't that horrible. It will still hurt to live with him while they weren't a couple anymore.

"Thank you." He whispered. Then looked away too. The silence between them was bittersweet. Another page was turning.

"I'm going to sleep. Good night, Rob."

They smiled at each other and she left him alone on the patio walking upstairs. On her way to, her now room, she stopped at the nursery. For a few minutes she observed their child peacefully sleeping. At least something beautiful got out of their relationship. Stroking Laelynn's cheek she closed the door.

In her room she strolled to the balcony. There she watched him walk around their garden, picking up some toys. Even in this mundane chore he looked so pensive. And beautiful. Sighting she walked back and slide into her bed. Sleep was actually far away from her mind and a few tears rolled down her face.

_____

"What are you doing?" Kristen asked him, holding a still sleepy Laelynn on her hip.

"Looking for a place to stay at in Toronto." He mumbled his eyes locked on his laptop screen.

"Oh. Why?" She moved around in the kitchen looking for some snacks.

"I'm gonna stay there for a while. I told you about this movie shooting there." It already annoyed him to look for a new place when he had found one months ago, but now everything was different. He was gonna live there alone and not with his family as planned.

"Right." Honestly Kristen had nothing else to say. So an awkward silence took place between them even though Laelynn was happily eating her snacks, blissfully unaware her parents were broken up.

Suddenly Rob stood up from his seat in the kitchen, kissed Laelynn's head and left the room. Kristen watched him go to his office and heard the door close. She had no idea what was in his head or why he left. Glancing around the room she saw he letf his laptop. The screen was lighten up, so she decided to look at it. Seeing what he was looking up saddened her. Rob had been looking at houses for sale in Toronto, and this one was in his favourite file. She easily guessed it wasn't from today and that he had to change his plan.

They could have moved to Toronto as a family. But then she was also glad he never talked to her about it. Imagining her raising their daughter there for a while, that would have been hurtful. That future was not meant to be.

[They decided to break up because it wasn't working anymore. They started to resent each other for different reasons and Kristen couldn't see past his old habits. When the decision was made it was more in the idea to actually help salvage their relationship. To have some space away from each other, and live as an individual and not a couple.]