15| Late Night

November 2013

Kristen was pacing all over her house. And that saddened her that it wasn't the first time she found herself in that situation. She stopped counting them. But now she was tired of it. They talked about their relationship and how much it was going downhill. But they probably didn't dig up enough into their problems to find the right solution.

The media were still onto them. Nothing new. And still Kristen was even more uncomfortable than before. All she did was building up walls bigger and bigger. And she wished Rob would see it and help her breaking them down. Since they nightly talk a month ago, not much had changed. They observed Laelynn growing up more and more everyday. But as for their relationship, apart from the cuddling at night -when Rob was there- nothing was going down or up. They just were there. Floating around their problems.

Her phone was in her hands and for the hundredth time she was calling the same number. At one point it picked up, only for her to hear loud music and lots of giggling. At that instant her heart missed a beat. Immediately she hung up and tossed her phone on the kitchen counter, when she walked in while still pacing.

She was tired. Exhausted even. All she wished for was a good night of sleep with her boyfriend and their daughter sleeping peacefully in her nursery. But here she was looking like a zombie, all alone. Sure her dogs were there, but with the anxiety flowing out of her they just sat still.

Earlier that night she had called her mother to pick up Laelynn. When she realised Rob hadn't given her any news all afternoon, she knew he'd be out. So she decided it was time, and that their daughter didn't deserve that.

Time moved so slowly it was driving her crazy. If only she was allowed to drink, that would maybe appease her nerve. Or not. Around midnight Kristen just crashed down on the couch.

A loud bang woke her up with a start. She assessed her surrounding, slowly waking up. The dogs were barking so loudly she wondered why, then she heard several cursing words. Sitting up she paused letting her elbows on her knees, her long brown hair shielding her. When she heard Rob stomping up the stairs she quickly stood up to follow him. She caught him back when he was entering the nursery. The nerve he had to show up at two in the morning, to make as much noise as a crowd of elephants, and to walk in where their daughter was supposedly sleeping.

"What are you doing?" Kristen harshly said to him catching him by the arm to pull him out of the room. But he strongly stepped away from her grip.

"Where's she?" She ignored his question and took a hold of one his hand and started to drag him into the corridor. Thankfully he took a few steps, until he got his senses back.

"Rob, just go to sleep, please." Kristen tried again but he was fighting her. "Fuck. Please. Stop."

"Where is-" Rob started again but she interrupted him.

"She's not here!" She said loudly. "Okay? And thank god she's not. Fucking look at you!"

"You're giving me an headache. Stop screaming." Rob leaned his back against the wall closing his eyes. That sentence was what Kristen hated the most. That was his thing. Everytime he said that to her as if she was the reason he was in that state. "Where's she then?"

"Far way from her drunken dad."

"Dammit. I'm not. You're fucking crazy."

Rob suddenly straighten up and stepped closer to her, so surprising that she took a step back. Looking over her shoulder she saw she was too close to the stairs. Instinctively she pushed him back hard enough that he slammed against the wall. Seeing that she crashed down on the floor, letting the tears rolling down on her face.