twenty-six

"Agent freckles, come in agent freckles. Over." Michael spoke into the walkie talkie.

"I'm not doing this, you're right next to me...and stop calling me agent freckles." Jeremy turned his walkie talkie off.

Michael gasped, offended at what Jeremy had just done. "Whatever I can find Evan by myself." He said defiantly and marched in front of Jeremy.

"He's probably in a tree somewhere."

"True..." Michael looked up at the trees for any sign of him. "EVAN?" He called out....no answer.

"EVAN!" They both shouted.

"EVAN IF YOU'RE IN THE TREES SAY SOMETHING!" Michael shouted this time.

They searched for hours, with no luck. It was beginning to get dark when Michael sat down against a tree and rested his head in his hands. Jeremy sat next to him and sighed.

"We're never gonna find him." Michael mumbled. "And it's all my fault..."

"Wait how is this your fault?" Jeremy asked.

"I thought he would be fine. I just let him go all by himself, even though I didn't trust Jared, and now he's missing."

"Hey hold on a second, this is not your fault Michael. You're not in charge of protecting Evan and it's not because of you."

"Hmm.." Michael looked sadly at the floor. "You should've seen his mom, I wish my mom cared that much."

"She cares." Jeremy tried to assure him.

"No not really, she's too busy with her stupid job."

"Well I care about you. My dad does too and you know that."

"Yeah..." Michael sounded unsure.

Jeremy wasn't sure what exactly to do, Michael was rarely sad like this in front of him. He was always trying to be the one to make sure no one else was sad. Jeremy hugged him tightly.

"Thanks Jeremy. I'm sorry."

"Stop it. You're fine Michael."

"I wish we could find him."

"We will. Promise."

"Can we go home now?"

"Yeah, come on." Jeremy stood up and held his hand out to help Michael up. They walked together quietly and even though Jeremy would never admit it, he was happy to have Michael to himself again.