nineteen

Evan heard tapping from outside. He got up from his bed and peeked out, Jared had climbed up and was now knocking on his window.

He opened it quickly. "I said to go away." he hissed.

"I need help."

"It's almost two o'clock and I have school tomorrow!"

"Yeah I know but this is important."

Evan sighed and gave in, "If it's not I'm texting Michael so he'll yell at you."

Jared climbed in and sat on Evan's bed. "What is he like your replacement best friend?"

Evan frowned as he pulled an oversized pink hoodie over his head. "I dunno..."

"You guys seem to hang out a lot." There was a hint of annoyance to his tone, he almost sounded jealous.

Evan laughed a little, "What's it to you anyways? It's clear you don't even like me so why does it matter?"

"What do you mean I don't like you?"

"Um well let's see...you didn't tell me you were moving, you spread rumors about how I was insane and killed my brother, you didn't tell me you moved back, you're always teasing me...should I continue? I have more."

Jared rolled his eyes. "Well you sure hold a grudge."

Evan decided it wasn't even worth it to argue and began to climb out the window. "Whatever let's just go." He glared at Jared as he waited to climb out. "Don't knock over my plants."

Jared scoffed, "Okay I won't."

Evan carefully made his way down the tree by his window. It had been forever since he climbed this thing. Jared used to climb up to his window all the time and they would hang out. The last time he was up here, Evan had nearly fallen. He was pretty scared but he wasn't going to show it. He knew it would please Jared to see him scared and he wasn't going to let that happen.

He eventually made it to the ground and Jared followed. There was a car waiting with someone Evan didn't recognize behind the wheel.

"Come on let's go!" Jared tried to pull him to the car.

Evan planted his feet. "I'm not sure."

"Oh come on don't chicken out now it'll be fine, I promise."

"Okay..." Evan followed hesitantly and got in the car.