¤ Beneath the Moon ¤

¤ ¤ ¤

¤ ¤ ¤

Silence was my friend when I had misery. I used to indulge in the quietness that came with being alone because it gave me a generous amount of space for my mind to run through.

And that's exactly what I got when I returned home,

Raw silence.

It did nothing to numb me from the havoc that carved itself into my head, the pain of a severed bond hitting me at a fervid force. And it brought with it an underlying noise that screamed into my thoughts that Killian was gone.

His familiar scent hung faintly in the air of the den, and it was a cruel taunt of what I had just lost, his absence becoming my ultimate torture.

I didn't think any type of pain could outweigh what I had right now, and all I could do was endure the ceaseless ache that made its home in my chest.

What made me feel more alone was the fact that I couldn't feel my wolf prowling beneath my skin anymore. She was thoroughly muted in her own accord, hiding herself in the farthest corner of my mind where she would dwell in grief alone.

I placed a heavy hand against my sternum, heaving in harsh breaths from the familiar ache of sorrow as I went over to the closet that held a few of Killian's clothes.

I took his black crew neck and slid it on, its hem stopping at the middle of my thighs. I dragged my feet out of the bedroom and over to the couch where I slowly laid down to curl myself into a ball.

When the sun finally retreated until the moon was at its peak, I remained in the same place, curled into the couch as I held onto the few traces left of Killian.

And the only thing that filled the aching silence of the house, was the sound of my whimpers as I cried myself to sleep.

A knock on the door jolted me awake in the morning, and I could hear Reed's muffled voice calling my name from outside.

I hastily stood up to answer him, and as soon as I opened the door, I was met with a face that bore the same look of misery as I had.

"Hey," Reed said, "I needed to tell you that Alpha Eli is here along with a few of his subordinates."

"Did you summon him here?"

"No, he came on his own accord. He heard about Killian, and decided to provide security and control of the pack for a short while."

"A short while," I repeated, and I could have sworn that I tasted the lie behind Eli's thoughtful intentions, "Are you sure we aren't just his open chance at extending his territory?"