Chapter 48

It turned out, I couldn't dance for the life of me. But, I honestly didn't give a crap as I danced with my friends to the music that the pack created. Jerry and I even sung a few impromptu songs but the highlight of the night was definitely when Zak had taken my hand and lead me through a dance that I'd never forget, it was so peaceful. Jerry was singing a song about peaceful times and Zak lead me so smoothly that I felt like I was flying. But now, the bonfire was dying down and the others had all slowly gone to bed, siting the fact they'd been up longer than us as Hana had been on patrol last night and Dot had needed to prepare all the children for tonight.

Cody dozed in my arms as I looked up at the clear night sky, some how more beautiful than I had seen it before. I heard the crunch of the snow behind me and instantly knew it was Zak as his arm fell across my shoulders.

"We should take Monkey upstairs before he get's too cold." I said without looking down and Zak chuckled, following my line of sight for a second. He shook his head before hooking his hand through the crook of my elbow and dragging me away from the sight.

"Come on then, it'll still be there tomorrow." I playfully glared at him but he just smiled at me. It was strange, the silence of the clearing after the celebration, like the absence of sound was a haunting hole in it's heart. I watched it, wanting to keep my eyes on the dying bonfires for as long as I could before Zak shut the door. "Did you have fun?" He asked, whispering now as Cody had officially fallen asleep. I giggled, letting the man take the child who had gotten a lot heavier than when I had first met him. We climbed up the stairs as quietly as possible.

"I've never had as much fun in my life. Even Selene came to see us! Although, she looked worried about something towards the end." I frowned at that. I'd only glimpsed Selene for a brief second when Zak and I were dancing and she had been smiling at us but then her expression dropped and she disappeared. It concerned me, I'd have to find out what happened the next time I spoke to her. Zak frowned as he followed me up the second floor staircase where we had to play the nightly game of 'don't trip on the kids toys'. Zak breathed again when we reached the third floor staircase and I had to cover my mouth to keep from laughing too loud.

"I hope everythings okay." He mumbled as we made our way to our rooms. Zak laid Cody out on my bed and he instantly wrapped himself up in the blanket, snuffling slightly. Zak and I grinned at each other before walking onto my glass balcony so we could talk more freely. 

"How are you feeling?" Zak asked, leaning on the railing to look at me. I shrugged, grateful I'd grabbed a jumper at some point tonight. My outfit was gorgeous but as soon as the bonfires had started to die down, it had gotten bloody cold! I jumped up onto the railing, sitting precariously balanced on the wood, my arms wrapped tightly around my waist. I didn't know why, I just wanted to be higher, which was great because I was now high enough to see slightly over Fortitudines wall.

"I don't know." I said, honestly as I eyed some strange glowing lights moving among the trees of the forest beyond Fortitudine. "I feel really guilty but really happy and at peace at the same time. I don't really know how to explain." Zak shook his head, climbing onto the railing beside me.

"No, I understand. I did my ceremony when I was sixteen but I don't think it was as harrowing as yours. My choice was between whether or not I would take up the mantle of Alpha-Heir or live a normal life. It didn't really seem like a choice for me." He blinked then looked at me with curiousity in his eyes. "What was the animal you didn't choose?" I frowned for a second before remembering what Rachel had turned into.

"A feral cat, it looked like it hadn't eaten in days." I blinked. Did that mean I had chosen the right choice? I didn't know, only time could tell me that.

"Mine was a rabbit of all things!" Zak exclaimed and I giggled, unable to see him being anything like a bunny. He smiled at me before looking out over the wall as well but, the moment he did he went pale. I frowned and followed his line of sight before gasping excitedly.