Chapter 19

It took a few minutes for Llewellyn to join us so I curled up on the plush chair in his office and wrapped the trembling Cody in my arms. The only thing that could be heard was the rumble of the fire and Codys rasping breaths before the door swung open and both Llewellyn and Zak walked in.

"Sit." Llewellyn ordered Zak, indicating the chair beside me. The man sat, trying to look at the boy inbetween my arms. Llewellyn walked over to the desk and leaned on it, crossing his arms as he glared at us. "You two need to talk. I won't have two people under my care fighting." He turned to look at his son, who gulped in reaction. "I'm especially disappointed in you, Zakynthros. I expect more from an Alpha-Heir but you weren't even trying to keep your composure back there." Zak looked down, hiding his face with his long black hair. A pang of guilt made me swallow, the look on his face was one of desperation. But, as much as I felt for him, my priority was Cody.

"Llewellyn." Both men turned to look at me and I took a deep breath in preparation. "I did start it. I couldn't let Cody stay in that situation any longer." Llewellyn frowned at me before raising his eyebrow at his son. Zak sighed and pushed his hair back.

"I admit, I forgot about Codys fear of the colour red. I was so focused on what he could know that it didn't occur to me." He swallowed and looked up at me with a determined look in his eyes. "But I won't stop. What he knows could save our pack." I sat up, intimidated by the look he was shooting me. There was a level of desperation in his eyes that told me he was willing to do just about anything to keep the people that were relying on him safe. But, what he hadn't seemed to realise was that the little boy in my arms was relying on him just as much as the others.

"You can do that but not quickly. He's scared. You need to gain his trust first." I tried to say it as calmly as possible but almost instantly, I was met with a loud bang as Zak pounded his fist into the arm rest in frustration.

"We don't have that much time!" He cried, his hands tightening into fists as he tried to keep his emotions under control. I looked up at Llewellyn who was watching Zak with a concerned expression. And, something else. Curiousity? "Your being here is proof itself that whoever is behind these attacks is coming for us. The attack on Caerun and I that brought you here can't be a coincidence. You have to understand that we must do everything to protect our pack!" He yelled the last part, his voice cracking as head fell into his hands. For a moment, I thought he was crying, until he inhaled deeply and straightened up, his expression stoic once again.

"Okay, I understand that." Zak tensed, looking at me expectantly. I understood, I really did, but- "He's relying on you as well, Zak. If you keep pushing him like this, who knows what might happen." Zak was silent for a few moments, chewing on his lip liked he was trying to work out what to say.

"I know." He mumbled before suddenly bursting from his seat. "I know! Don't you think I know? Don't you think I'd be trying my hardest to bring him back if this wasn't happening?" Zak began to pace the office, running his hand through his hair over and over again. "I just want to keep everyone safe." He muttered. That simple statement had so much pain in it that I found myself wanting to wrap my arms around him and hold him close. But I squashed down on the feeling. This was hardly the time to be thinking about something so useless.

"And, whose protecting him?" I asked. Zak pressed his palms to his face, grimacing.

"I'm trying. I promise, I'm trying." He said. The room was silent as I absorbed those words. I don't think I'd ever heard anything so honest from anyone before. It was strange to see a man who seemed so strong most of the time admit that he was failing.

"Teranika." I jumped and spun to face Llewellyn. I'd forgotten he was there, somehow. "I'd like to show you something." Llewellyn indicated for us to follow him. Not wanting to upset Cody even more, I left him curled up on the plush chair as I followed Zak into the room with the circle table. This time, it was empty, the only thing of interest was the large map on the side wall. It was the map that Llewellyn pointed to when I joined them.