Chapter 2

The night air swirled around us making me shiver as I pulled my knees up to my chest and wrapped myself up in my jumper.

"Wombat." Rachel laughed. She was sitting on the other side of the Cafe table we were sitting at, leaning backwards over the table top so she could look up at the sky.

"Continue that and I'll start saying that you don't feel the cold 'cause your hair keeps you warm." I chuckled as Rachel instantly sat up and turned around to glare at me.

"Don't you dare!" She threatened, her eyes narrowing at me. I smiled and stared up at the clear sky above us.

"Your boyfriend is a twat to shop for, do you know that?" Rachel sighed and dug into her pockets, pulling out two small golden snake earrings and held them up so she could study them in the light of the moon.

"I know. I'm sorry. He really did tell me he didn't want a present this morning." I scowled, resting my hand against my mouth in an attempt to hide it.

"I know he did. You don't have to justify yourself to me. Just, let me borrow some of your books so I don't have to figure out where I'm keeping them all." She chuckled and we grew silent. I liked the night, it was never actually quiet, the sounds of the forest that surrounded Quelia always lit up the air.

"Do you think the wolves will be out tonight?" I asked as Rachel pulled herself into a proper sitting position.

"I hope not, I don't like you walking through the park when they're out." I pulled a face and rested my chin on my knees.

"I'm sure I could get away from a wolf if it attacked me, and besides, the wolves that live in Quelia are sweethearts. Do you remember me telling you about that brown one that fell face first into a snow drift?" Rachel smirked but then sobered, shaking her head.

"And what about that black one? With the blue eyes? You said you didn't see him until you were nearly on top of him a few months ago!" I shrugged, wrapping my arms closer around myself as a cold blast of wind swept past us.

"That was during a new moon, he blended into the darkness. It's a full moon tonight, I can see perfectly fine." Rachel frowned and tilted her head back, studying the moon intently.

"Not a full moon tonight, may be tomorrow night? Anyway, my point is, you're way too reckless at night. One day you're going to get a bit too close to them." I frowned, burying my face in my arms with a pout.

"I like watching the wolves though, they're so pretty." I ducked my head even lower as she glared at me, hiding the small smile on my face. A movement beside me caught my attention and I realised the men who lit the street torches was out doing his job.

"Oh shoot, is that the time? You've gotta get home and cook dinner." I cried, unravelling myself from my jumper.

"And you've gotta go home a warm up!" Rachel laughed. I glared at her, rubbing my hands together as I bounced on the spot, trying to keep some of the heat that was now escaping me.

"Tomorrow I am wearing a thicker jumper!" I announced, making her laugh. We hugged for a beat longer then usual. I hated this time of night.

"Are you going to be okay?" I asked, only to earn her glare again.

"Think about yourself will you? Don't do anything stupid, like go looking for the wolves." I smirked as I walked away from my best friend, shooting her a mock salute.

"Yes Ma'am, what ever you say Ma'am." 

"Damn you!" I laughed as her reply echoed through the quiet courtyard. The market stalls had been packed up a few hours ago but neither Rachel nor I had wanted to go home. I sighed, my hands buried in my pockets, as a lonesome flag blew across the snow. My ears went into overdrive, picking up the sounds of insects and animals skittering through the trees. After a few minutes, the low sounds were replaced by the whispering song of a bird that I tried to locate through the quickly thickening trees. Forest Park was a section of the forest that, whilst technically in the middle of town, was still very much connected with the forest that surrounded Quelia and, for that reason, the wolves that lived around the town, regularly walked through it as though they had every right to. Which they did. Quelia locals knew they'd set up town in the middle of wolf territory so certain rules had been in place for longer then anyone could remember, such as no lights on after dark. Everyone had to light torches, as in, fire torches, if they wanted to see at night. Upside, the stars in Quelia were a sight to behold. Downside, if a fire warning was issued during the hot season, no one could do a thing during the night.