Chapter 42 Family

Start from the beginning

Ariane answered her smile hesitantly. From what she had seen of her new sister-in-law, the woman was quite outspoken yet kind. It was not the kind of woman she had pictured her brother to marry, but Darius seemed quite pleased with her. The frown he usually held was barely noticeable now. Elora too seemed comfortable in his presence, despite the differences in customs she had pointed out. The two seemed to have found some middle ground.

Things had certainly been different when Zara had still been her brother's wife.

"He is," Ariane answered Elora's comment, "Silas has been nothing but good to me."

Elora studied her a moment. "You speak of contentment more than happiness. Is all well?"

Ariane moved her hand to her stomach. "I know he does not love me, but he treats me well. He is kind. I hope the child I bear him will please him."

Elora sighed. "I'm sorry to hear he has no affection for you. I suppose I have been blessed in that regard. Your brother is a proud and headstrong man, but I've found a way to win him over." There was a gentle smile on her lips.

For a moment Ariane envied her. If even her brother could learn to love, then what was wrong with her for not being able to win over her own husband? Or perhaps it was because Darius had never loved his first wife. His heart was still available, while Cyrus...

Elora's hand pressed hers. "If he does not love you he is a fool."

Ariane forced out a smile. "At least he is a good man."

"Tell me about prince Cyrus' sister," Elora changed the subject, "I heard she is engaged?"

"Yes," Ariane nodded. She bit her lip. "She will marry her guard." She still wasn't sure how she felt about that.

To her surprise Elora laughed. "Oh, I know how that is like. I remember when Eloni announced she was going to marry Byron. She had this stubborn look on her face, ready for father to refuse. And he looked at her and said 'what took so long?' They'd been eyeing each other since the day Byron arrived in Tolais."

Ariane blinked confused. "Byron?"

"Oh! You would not know him," Elora realized, "Byron is my father's fastest rider. He came to our home as a stable boy when he was twelve. When my father discovered his talent with horses, he made Byron one of his messengers." She laughed. "He got along great with me and Eloise. And Elvi adored him, young as she was, but when it came to Eloni he'd turn into a mess. Stuttering and stumbling. It was quite amusing to watch. Was it like that with lady Vara too?"

"I... I would not know," Ariane said, "he had not been her guard for very long."

"Ah," Elora smiled, "love at first sight then?"

"I don't think so," Ariane mused, "she's had suitors." She wasn't really comfortable with talking about Vara's broken engagement with Felix Matís. Elora was nice, but Ariane didn't really know her.

"But they love each other?" Elora asked.

Ariane bit her lip. "They seem happy with each other's company."

"That's good," Elora smiled. She sighed. "I should go now. I need to make sure everything is prepared for tonight's banquet. Will you be alright on your own for a while? If you have need of anything, just ask one of the servants."

Ariane rearranged the pillows behind her back and sighed in relief. "I will be fine."

"Alright," Elora nodded, "I will see you tonight then at the banquet. Take some rest until then." She stood up and pressed Ariane's shoulder. "It is lovely to finally meet you."