Chapter 7

Carson woke up to find Andy gone. How could she leave him? After all he had done for her? They were saving up the money, they were going to be rich! Carson wanted to buy a ranch near the border, settle down and be happy. Carson threw open the tent flap, and commenced yelling "round up the cattle! Mount up! She's gone!" he yelled. Men scrambled when he yelled. They had grown accustom to his ways, including to never ask questions. Many good rustlers had been shot for that behavior, the rest didn't try.

The cattle were bunched together in the valley, and Carson took a moment to study the herd he and his men had made off with. Nice well fed cattle, they'd probably top the market when they sold. Carson was busy with his mind on the figures when the sharp call from a riffle brought him back to reality. He looked around in time to watch one of his men fall from the saddle, blood oozing from the left side of his chest. The riderless horse spooked into action, leading the way out of the valley. The shot struck fear into the grazing herd, and soon nothing could be heard over the thundering hooves of the cattle. Carson quickly scanned the ridges surrounding the valley. Men seemed to be surrounding them. Carson fired off a few shots, hoping he could at least slow his opponent down.

A movement caught his eye. To his right, on top the ridge, a man holding a riffle was taking aim. The man looked familiar to Carson. The man fired his shots and reloaded his weapon. When he brought the riffle down from his shoulder, Carson could see clearly who his assailant was. The man who gave him his distinguishing scar. Carson pulled out his firearm once more, and lobbed a few rounds in Wayne Martin's direction before quickly disappearing into the herd of fleeing cattle.

Carson kept with the herd of cattle, stampeding for roughly a mile, before slowing down. He met up with his men, and decided to find a safe place to camp out for a while. He remembered this area having a large cavern, hidden in the tall pines. The men searched for what seemed hours trying to locate the hide-away. The men kept riding, glancing over their shoulders and reaching for their pistols. Finally they stumbled upon the opening, and set up camp. Carson made a quick sweep through the cavern, making sure they were alone, and that no bear had also chosen the cavern as a home. Finding nothing, he made his way back to the others. About half of his crew was gone. He had lost seven men today. Too many to take the herd to Mexico. Tonight, they would round up what they could and head out. He was disappointed that he had to leave Andrea here, but he would be back, and he would find her. Carson could hear people gathering in the stampeded herd, he knew he would have even less to take to mexico now, but he hoped they could find enough to make the trip there and back again worth it.

When darkness settled over the land, he recruited his men for a late night round up. Splitting up into groups of two, the men went out to find the scattered herd, Carson rode alone. The plan was to meet back with the strays on the flat above the valley and slowly start the herd south. They had been spotted, so Carson knew they needed to do night riding for the next few days. Hopefully he could pick up some more men along the way.

He knew it was risky, but he made his way to town, maybe he could catch a lead as to where Andrea had run off to. This was a strange, new behavior to Carson, and he didn't understand why now she had wanted to run off. She had been acting strange the last few years. No matter, he would get her back, and she would know next time, to never run off again.

He slunk through the shadows of town, hoping to get an idea of where his daughter might have gone. Watching the movement on the streets, he noticed the sheriff with a group of men walking out of what looked like a Doctor's office. His eyes locked on Wayne as the group made their way down the street, men heading in different directions at irregular intervals. Must be calling it a night, carson thought. This would be the perfect time to gather his men and head out. He could put many miles between him and the sheriff before morning. Movement in the upstairs window of the doctor's house caught his eye, it was the only window that didn't have the curtains drawn shut. He could see the shadows in the second room, what looked like a man and wife, but the first room he could see clearly. A small framed woman with brown curls. Carson's lips displayed a smile as realization sunk in. Andrea was staying at the Doctor's house. Carson mounted his horse again and left to meet his crew. They would depart and be back in a few months.