Chapter Twenty

(Morning)

Hunter

     I sit outside my mom's hospital room, not wanting to go inside until she wakes up.

     She has a broken shoulder, bruised ribs, and a severe concussion. She was in a coma for eight hours and now she's on medication.

     I check the time for the millionth time and see some calls from Jasper. It's 5:34am... I get up and get some coffee, feeling empty inside and not wanting to digest anything. I sit back down and slowly drink my coffee.

     I check the time again.

5:47am

     I hear running footsteps and look up to see Jasper, running towards me with three people behind him. I stand up and walk towards him, wondering if I was imagining it from lack of sleep. I feel his body collide into mine and I hold onto him like it was life or death. "Oh my god...you're here..."

     He hugs me, not saying anything.

     I start to cry again, wanting it all to go back to a few weeks again. I sink to my knees with him and he holds me to his chest, rubbing my back and playing with my hair. "You're here..."

     "Yeah..." Is all he says as he keeps comforting me. "C'mon..." He helps me up and starts to lead me to the elevator.

     "Jazz, I don't want to-"

     He holds my hand and looks up at me once we reach the doors. "I know...but you need to..." He smiles a little as his family follows us to my car. "Here's the address and I'm gonna drive him, you just tag along." He mumbles to a woman. He gets in with me and has a little difficulty getting in.

     I chuckle and look at him. "Still short as hell."

     "I know..." He drives to my house and gets inside with me, his family not following. "Those are my cousins." He mumbles and leads me to the couch.

     I sit down and nod. "Is it nice in Austria?"

     "I guess...I miss it here though...minus the bullies."

     "I can't believe you're here..." I saw for the millionth time.

     "You need someone right now..." He sits next to me and plays with my hair. "But I can't come running every time there's an issue...we have a tight budget after getting the tickets."

     "I'm sorry-"

     "Apologize at the right moments." He lets me lay down with my head in his lap. "You need to sleep for a bit, then we'll try to have you eat, okay?"

     I nod, realizing how exhausted I was.

     "Sleep as much as you can..." I whisper as I twirl his hair with my fingers. "You'll need it..." I kiss his forehead. "We both will..."

     "Th...ank...you..." He falls asleep with a small smile on over his tear streaked face.

     I smile and snuggle up, falling asleep as well.

     "He really cares about you..."

     "Yeah...I love Jazz, but I'm still hoping one day he'll say it back..."

     "I think he just needs time."

     I open my eyes to see Dylan and Hunter talking. "Hunter?"

     Hunter walks over and smiles at me. "Thank you for earlier...but you need to go-"

     "I have two days left." I sit up. "I want to stay here with you. I want to be by your side and help you through this...don't think that I'm going back sooner than later." I hold his hand and smile. "Dylan, what's going on?" I ask once Hunter sits next to me.

     "We're going to stay at a motel near here."

     I nod.

     "I'm gonna go so you guys can have your time." He says and leaves.

     I look up at Hunter. "Food?"

     "Help me cook."

     "Deal." I get up with him and head to the kitchen.

     "Hunter!" I squeal as Hunter sits behind me and tickles my waist non-stop. "Th-this i-i-isn't fai-i-r!" I squeal again and he stops. I catch my breath and face him as we cuddle. "Hi..."

     "Hi." He smiles as me, seeming brighter.

     I hold his hands in mine and sigh as I grin. "I missed you."

     "Same here...thank you for this. I love you."

     I giggle. "I...I love you too, Hunter."

     He relaxes and messes up my hair. "I like hearing that." He pecks me on the cheek and holds me. "It makes me feel lighter..."

     "I get how that feels." I relax into him. I look up as our lips connect and I don't move.

     He kisses me, not hesitating in the decision.

     I stop him after a minute. "I don't know how I'm gonna live without that..." I mumble as I peck his lips, feeling tears in my eyes. "I'm gonna miss you..."

     "We have hours to hang out and talk...let's relax and start talking tomorrow and then we can..."

     I nod when he doesn't finish the sentence. I kiss him again and pull away when I start crying.

     "Jasper..." He whispers and pulls me closer. "Hey, baby...it's okay...we can do this..." He kisses the top of my head. "Happy birthday...even if it's late." He says, calming me down.

     "I'm just glad to see you." I finally say as I curl up next to him.

     He pulls me into his lap and lays my head on his chest. "Me too...thank you so much for being here...especially last minute..."

     "I love being here...especially now." I close my eyes. "You...need to sleep..."

     "I will, I promise..." He whispers as my breathing deepens and I fall asleep.

Author's Note

     It's the end *sniffle*. I have a surprise after I post this, and I hope everyone likes it! Fighting!