Chapter One

Jasper

     I get the last box and get down from the truck. I set it on the curb and put the old 2000 F-150 Ford in the garage before my dad gets home. I see a neighbor glance over from across the street and down one house from my new home. I pick up the box and get to the porch before the cardboard caves in and books, art journals, private lyrics, and thoughts on loose paper go flying. I try to collect the papers quickly, hoping they don't get seen by anyone I live near. I feel a light touch on my shoulder as it leaves and a boy comes out of no where, helping me.
     "You really shouldn't help me..." I get most of the papers when a wind kicks up and they get lost in the wind. I sigh and put everything on the porch in neat piles.
     "You should go chase after those."
     "They would've been gone anyways." I mutter and carry the rest inside, hoping the boy realizes I'm not in a friendly mood.
     "My mom wants to have you over-"
     "No." I shut the front door and race to my dads' room, unpacking and putting everything in place. I race to my room as I here my father come home after an hour or two of being at the pub. I slowly start to unpack, not in a rush.
     "JASPER!" Dads' voice booms. "GET DOWN HERE!"
     I get up and go downstairs. "Yes, sir?"
     "You put jackets AND shirts in the closet!?" He asks, pointing to the 'error' I made.
     "I'm sorry, sir." I feel my head snap to the left as my cheek burns.
     He grins in my reaction. "Wear that to school tomorrow. Now go."
     I run upstairs and to my room. I lay in bed and let warm trails make their way from my eyes and down my cheeks until they reach my pillow. Don't let it happen again...please... I wince as I hear thumping footsteps and the door swings open, bouncing back from the wall. "Please...don't do this..."
     He grabs me, making me stand against the wall. "Don't mess up again, got it!?" He throws me to the ground and slams the door behind him.
     I turn off my light and sit at my desk. I space out until the sun starts to set and I just keep hoping something will get better soon.

     It's 12:51am and I still can't be bothered to try and sleep. I get up, grab my bag for school,  go downstairs, past my unconscious father, and to the house where the mysterious boy came from. I wipe away a few tears after ringing the door bell.
     A few moments later, a women in her mid-30s opens the door and smiles. "Hello..."
     "I'm so sorry...but can I stay the night here tonight?"
     She spots my bruised cheek and nods, hurrying me inside. "Hunter! Come down here, will you? I need your help!"
     A figure runs down and spots me.
     I recognize him and nod. "Thanks for trying earlier..."
     "What happened-"
     "Hunter!" His mom scolds. "Just help him sleep, okay?" She smiles at me. "What's your name, dear?"
     "Uh...Jasper..." I say, very nervous.
     "This is Hunter and I'm Melody. You're welcome anytime." She goes upstairs and the sound of a door closing is faintly heard.
     Hunter walks up and puts his hand under my chin and holds my face still, inspecting the mark. "I can fix it up." He sees me wince when he gets a little closer. "I won't hurt you...okay?" He leads me to the bathroom once I nod and gets a cold rag. "Press that on your cheek and I'll get some medicine."
     "I need a friend..." I whisper. 
     He stops in his tracks. "You have one...alright?"