Chapter Six

Jasper

     "I was twelve when my mom died of amnesia...my dad hated me because when she died...I was in the room with her and she was holding my hand, seeming tired and I thought that was just the medicine...I was twelve. A kid." I sniffle as I remember my mom. "My dad was so sweet before...he went bad in the head...I tried to stay by his side, understanding that he was just upset for now because of her death...but it didn't stop there...
     He started to hit me...throw me into furniture and walls...I was so scared that a year later that I tried to stay with a friend. He found me and hit my friend and dragged me out of the house and home. I screamed for him to stop but he wouldn't listen..." I sigh and look at Ms. Rue. "Hunter found me today in my bathroom...on the floor. I had taken a prescribed pill for my pain and had dropped the bottle. I was on the floor at this point and so tired...I thought about swallowing them all, but I fell asleep while in thought."
     Hunter looks at his mom, but she stays still.
     I continue. "I, uh...have something to show you both...but I talk back to my dad...thinking that I deserve it because she spent her last moments with me instead of him."
     "Jazz, there's no way that was your fault..." He says, getting teary-eyed.
     I sniffle again and sigh as I slowly take off my shirt to show huge bruises on my chest and stomach.
     Ms. Rue gets up and leaves the room. She comes back with a few different outfits and a huge, fluffy blanket.
     Hunter takes the blanket and comes over, wrapping me in it and holding me like I'm a scared animal. "I'm not letting you go back there..."
     "Hunter, I have to go back...he'll hurt me even more if I don't..."
     "I'll be at your window at midnight...leaving it open slightly." He kisses my head.
     I shiver from the sweet and innocent touch and nod. 
     "I will visit you as much as I can at night unless you're already asleep."
     I smile and nod again. "Thank you."

     At 11:53pm, I lay in bed with my window unlocked and slightly open. I shiver as goosebumps wrap their way around me. I try to listen for noise outside my door, scared my father knows our plan. Hurry up, Hunter...why can't time be faster? I hear my window open as my eyes droop. I have my back to the window, still trying to watch my door.
     "Jasper?" Hunter whispers. "Are you awake?"
     I move slightly. "Yeah..." I mumble slightly.
     He climbs into my bed next to me and wrap his arms around me, being extra careful when he pulls a blanket over us. "Is this okay?"
     "Yeah." I smile. "I feel safer..."
     "Good...get some sleep, Jasper..."
     "Night, Hunter..." I whisper, feeling sleep taking over.

     I get up and get dressed for the day. I smile to hear the bath running. "Hunter?" I knock on the door. "Can I come in?" I go in and hear nothing. "Hunter?" I pull back the curtain of the shower to see him half asleep against the side of the tub. I stop the water and sit next to him. "Hey...you need to wake up." I put his arm around my shoulders and help him stand.
     "...Jas...per..." He says, shaking sleep from his head. 
     "Shh...you need rest..." I lay him in bed and cover him up. "Just rest..." I kiss his forehead and put my hand to his cheek. I sigh and start to look for a hoodie. "Did he snake my hoodie?" I look back at Hunter to conclude my theory. "That bastard..." I find a sweatshirt and put it on over my t-shirt.
     Movement from my bed catches my attention and I see Hunter starting to wake up.
     I walk over and sit on the edge of my bed. "Hey..."
     He mumbles something incoherent and shifts.
     "We have school tomorrow."
     "I'm sleepy..."
     "I know, but my dad isn't here right now and I'm hungry...don't you want food?"
     He perks up and shifts again. "Food?"