Chapter Eighteen

^^Miya^^

Jasper

     I wake up to my phone buzzing. It's four in the morning...what the hell? I answer, still sleepy. "Hello?"

     "I'm sorry to call you this early, but I-I-I-"

    "Hunter? Hunter, slow down, what's wrong baby?" I ask, sitting up in bed.

    "I...I h-had a nightmare..." He sniffles.

    "Hunter?"

    "It was about you and I had t-t-to c-call to mak-ke sure you're ok-k-kay..." He struggles to speak at the end as he starts to cry.

     "Hunter, I'm okay..." I try to reassure. I wish I didn't have to move so far... "I'm the one who should be worried...not you...you're brave and a bad ass, c'mon now..."

     He laughs a little at that. "I, uh...I'm not going to school today so I'm here and you can contact me in a heartbeat."

    "I want to be there...I really do..."

    "I'll be okay...just freaked a little..."

    "If you can't visit, I'll try to visit you..."

     "I'd like for you to show up on my doorstep...that'd be the best thing in my opinion..." He sniffles again, finished crying.

     "I-"

     "Goodnight, Jazz...go back to bed." He mumbles and waits for me to hang up.

     I take a minute, then end the call. I have trouble going back to sleep, but manage.

     I wake up and rush to school, oversleeping a bit. I get in my seat right when the bell rings. Still no friends yet... I cough a little and catch my breath. I sigh as I look at the empty seat next to me. Hunter would have sat there and held my hand... I shake myself.

Hunter

     I finally wake up from a nap I had to see that it'll be around 11:am in Austria (5:pm in America). I groan and curl back up as I see what time it is and realize I've slept the day away. I see no messages or missed calls from Jazz. He's busy, you know that. I set my phone down as it starts buzzing. I pick it up again and see that it's an old friend, Miya. "Hey, how are you?"

     "Hey, Hunter! I'm on my way into town. You still live in your old house?"

     "Yeah, this is a surprise...how long are you back?"

     "Well, I was wondering if I could crash until Tuesday. It's only Friday, right?"

     "Yeah. Well, hurry up! I miss your trashy face."

     "Still the same. Later." She hangs up.

     I laugh and put my phone down, forgetting about Jazz momentarily before my phone buzzes again.

               Jazz: Call me in 20 minutes.        -11:13am

               Hunter: You sure?          -11:16am

              Jazz: Yeah, you alright?        -11:17am

     I don't respond, not wanting to talk about my incident again. I go upstairs and hop in the shower.

     After a few minutes, I hear my front door open and slam shut. "Honey, I'm home!" A feminine voice yells.

     I groan and get out of the shower and get dressed. I go downstairs to see Miya with a suitcase. "Hey, stranger!"

     She beams a smile at me. "Hey to yourself!" She hugs me. "Why cant you dry your hair all the way when you have company?"

     "I just got out of the shower, fuck off." I let go of her and smile. "Wow...still shorter than me, but a couple inches taller."

     "It's not my fault you're a giant." She flops on my couch. "Thanks for letting me crash. When does mom get home?"

     "Soon. How was-"

     "Bad. How's-"

     "Let's focus on you..." I mumble, a strained smile turning up.

     "Hunter..."

     I check my phone to see that I have to call Jazz in ten minutes.

     "Expecting someone?"

     "Being expected."

     "Where are we going?"

     "No where...I have to call someone..." I sigh. "Any boyfriends?"

     "No. Any for you?"

     I turn red, suddenly realizing my mistake in asking.

     "Hunter, who are you calling?"

     "No one-"

     She glares at me. "Fess up, liar."

     I sigh. "My boyfriend, Jasper...he just moved to Austria with his cousins..."

     "Ouch. He cute?"

     "Hands off, Miya."

     "Just asking." She goes to the kitchen, her stomach growling loudly. "Damn you got healthy...what the fuck, man?"

     "Gotta stay fit, your royal highness." I follow her and set my phone on the counter. I start to get cooking supplies out. "Hey, what do you think about-" I stop at the sound of my phone buzzing against the counter top.

     Miya dives for in and answers. "Hunter's phone, how may I help you?"

     "Who the hell is this?"

     "It's Miya. Has Hunter not told you about me?"

     I try to get the phone from her, knowing Jazz will over react.

     She stops and hands the phone to me. "He...hung up..."

     I sigh and try to call him, all my calls going to voicemail. "Jazz, please pick up. Miya is a good friend from a long time ago and she's staying at my place a bit until she finds a job and a place to stay...please answer." I try to call him another five times, not receiving anything.

     "I'm sorry, Hunter..."

     "He'll get over it..." I sniffle and start to make dinner. "He just over reacts some times..."

     "Is he older than you?"

     "Acts like it, but no...younger." I sigh and keep myself busy.

     Miya grabs my phone and calls, getting voicemail. "Look, I'm just a friend of Hunter's and I'm not out to steal your boyfriend, okay? Hunter is stressed out enough with you leaving...please don't make it harder for him, 'k?" She ends the call. "I hope it helps..."