Chapter Seven

Hunter

     I watch as Jasper tries to, and unsuccessfully, flip his first pancake. "You'll get the hang of it." I say when he pouts.
     He moves to the side and lets me take over.
     I show him again and he tries once more, giving up after failing again. "Hey." I mess up his hair. "At least you're learning."
     He nods and smiles a bit. "I guess."
     We were at my house since his didn't provide supplies to have a proper everyday breakfast.
     "Don't fret. You're still good looking while in a bad mood." I see him turn red and miss as I dodge when he tries to strike at my arm. "Hey, I'm near a stove, you can't do that or I might seriously get hurt!" I say, completely over exaggerating.
     "I think you'll live." He grumbles. "When can we eat?"
     "When I'm done making the food. Go sit down before I make you." I say, not taking my eyes off the food I'm making.
     "Then make me."
     I sigh and stop what I'm doing as I turn to him. I start tickling him and drag him to the counter seats. "Now behave." I help him up into the chair since he's short and go back to the food. I hear shifting and sigh. "Jazz. If I have to come over there, you're gonna be in trouble-" I turn to see him looking outside as cop cars race past my house with sirens blaring. I walk over to him and put a hand on his shoulder.
     He jumps and looks up at me. "Hunter..." He looks back outside as the come back and stop at his house. "What do I do?"
     I sigh. "You were here last night and I was teaching you how to make pancakes when we saw this. Come on." I take his hand and lead him to the front door, outside, and across the street. "It's okay..." I slow down as we near the house.
     He walks up to an officer, already shaking. "What happened?"
     The officer sighs. "A drunk got in a bar fight last night and he lives here. We heard him talk about how his son couldn't live without him...we came to check it out and see where the boy was. Have you seen him?"
     I squeeze Jasper's hand, knowing I could lose him, but it was the right thing to do for him.
     "I am the son...I'm sorry he got into a fight..." He says quietly. "I don't need help, I'm okay." He lies, smiling like he really is okay.
     "Does this man abuse you?"
     He shakes his head. "I told you, I'm perfectly fine." He walks back over to me and holds my hand with a death grip. "Can we go? Please?" He whispers as his voice shakes.
     I take him back across the street to my house and finish making breakfast, but I don't force Jasper to eat when he barely touches his food. "Don't hurt yourself...okay?"
     He suddenly looks up. "I..." He tries to look for words, failing.
     "I don't want to lose someone else." I mumble and put my plate in the sink and head upstairs, tears slipping down my face. I pull away from my mom when she tries to stop me and ask what happened, but I just run to my room and start crying. I close my door and lay on my bed as I remember my dad and I cry more, missing the man I looked up to most in life.
     The door creaks open and light footsteps find their way to my side as Jazz lays next to me. He hugs me, knowing that he should leave me alone, but that I also needed a friend with me in that moment.
     "Jasper-"
     "Just stop thinking for a minute...just relax as much as you can, okay? It might be scary to just let loose and not be in control, but you'll feel better..." He plays with my hair and murmurs that I'll be okay in my ear.

_________________

Author's Note
     Hunter said he didn't want to lose someone else? I wonder what happened to his dad, hm?