Chapter Nine

Hunter

     I finally turn to the micro wave and get the warm water.
     "Hunter?"
     I mix the powder into the water and hand him his mug. "I never talk about my dad to anyone...neither does m mom...he...h-h-he killed hims-self..."
     He nods, giving me his attention and regrouping our hands.
     "He had lost his job and we couldn't afford to live anywhere a few ears ago...me and my mom moved here for a fresh start. I met you and my mom is happy where she works."
     He smiles and kisses my hand, his eyes closed as a tear rolls down his cheek and more follow.
     "Hey, don't cry..." I set down our drinks and hug him. "Jazz, why are you crying?"
     He just holds onto me and sobs into my chest.
     I hold him and rub his back, wanting to know how Jasper got so sensitive about these things. I close m eyes as I rest my head on his, smiling a little. "It's okay..." I whisper, calming him down a bit. "You're okay..."

     I sigh as Jasper leaves for his house later that night after I give him my number. He's so cute when he gets flustered... I chuckle and lay on the couch. I check my phone as it goes off.

Jasper: Hey.                               -9:38pm
Hunter: What's up, bug?       -9:38pm
Jasper: I can't sleep...            -9:40pm
Hunter: Why not?                     -9:40pm
Hunter: Jazz?                             -9:43pm

I furrow my eyebrows. I wonder what happened... I get up and look out my window to see Jasper's window open with him pacing inside. I get m keys and walk over to his house. I peek inside to see his father lounging about with beer everywhere. I climb up to his window and knock.
    He jumps and looks at me. He rushes to the window and opens it. "What are you doing here?" He whispers.
     "Your dad is back..."
     He nods. "Yeah..."
     "Do you want me to stay?"
     He turns to his door as footsteps start coming towards the door. "Go." He closes the window and pulls back the curtains.
     I jump down and hide in the bushes. I hear thuds and Jasper crying out. I call 911 and tell them to hurry to his house. I climb up to his window and open it and realize his dad is gone. I find him on the floor, sprawled out. I rush over and hold him, tears filling my eyes.
     He whimpers in pain and holds onto me.
     I kiss his forehead and sigh. "Help is on the way..." I hear sirens way in the distance as his father bursts in and sees me. I hold Jasper tightly.
     "You want to get beat too? You need to leave." His father says darkly.
     "I'm not leaving him alone with someone like you..." I try to keep calm, which Jasper doesn't like. "Jazz, be calm...it's okay..." I say as the sirens get louder. "Help is on the way..." I whisper.

     I ride in the back seat of a cop car with Jasper as they take us to the hospital by request.
     "Hunter, I'm fine-"
     "I want to make sure..." I kiss his cheek and let my tears finally fall. "Just do this for me..."
     He nods and holds onto me, afraid of letting go.
     "You're gonna have to let go when they do the x-ray..."
     He nods again and hugs me tightly. "I know..." He closes his eyes out of exhaustion and his breath deepens. He snuggles up closer to me and falls asleep.

      I play with his hair as the cop keeps driving, glancing at us every once in awhile. I finally shake Jasper awake and he groans. "We're here." I sigh when he cuddles closer to me. I pick him up bridal style and carry him into the hospital waiting room. I watch as the officer talks to a doctor and they tell us to wait. I smile when Jasper wakes up and clings to me as he looks at me, shaking.
     "Hunter?"
     "What's wrong?" I say, noticing he's crying again.
     "I...I-I-"
    "Shh..." I hold him as he sobs into my chest. "What happened?" I hold his hand.
     "Nightmare...I h-had a nightm-m-mare..."
     I rock him back and forth and the doctor comes over to us. "Can I come with him?"
     The doctor nods and leads us to the x-ray room and I stand in the doorway and he gets them done. He then leads us to a regular room and sits down with us. "You have lots of bruises on your body and scars from cuts...is that correct?"
     Jasper nods, keeping calm.
     "You obviously have internal bruising from how much this event has been happening. Did this happen everyday?"
     "Yes, many times a day sometimes he wouldn't be home or would barely touch me sometimes...he blames me for my mother's death."
     I space out and a hand shakes me. I look up at Jasper and give a small smile.
     "Time to go..." He whispers.
     I stand up and hold his hand. "Let's go home..."