The Quest: Chapter 35

Start from the beginning

"Where are you going?" Alannah asked through chattered teeth. She noticed Legolas's jaw line tighten when he looked at her before bending down and kissing the top of her head. It was all too clear to her that he was angry at her but had too good of a heart to express it as he grabbed her dirty clothes from the floor and walked back into their bedroom.

As he shook the dirt from them, the small rock fell onto the floor. He quickly scooped it up and looked at in his hand, and unable to quell his anger anymore he stomped back into the bathroom. He slammed the door shut, causing Alannah to jump at the sudden sound behind her.

"You could have been killed!" He yelled as she sunk herself lower in the tub. Alannah struggled to find the words to say to calm him as he stood before her fuming.

"I wasn't." Alannah responded as she pulled herself out of the tub, grabbing a nearby linen to wrap around her body. Legolas stood aside, his eyes narrowing as he followed her into the bedroom.

"Is that all you have to say? You have no idea how terrified I was as I dug through dirt and rubble to find you. I hope you found what you were searching for." He hissed as he threw the rock he held in his hand out the open balcony doors. Alannah pulled a simple green gown from the armoire and pulled it over her head as he scolded her, waiting for him to finish so that she could speak.

"I did actually and if you would calm down I have so much I would like to tell you." Alannah softly responded. Legolas shook his head as he moved to help her tie the back of her gown. When he finished he walked to the bedroom door, pausing as he opened it.

"I will return when I know I will not say things I will regret." Legolas huffed as he walked out, slamming the door shut behind him.

~

Alannah stood in front of the king as he too, chastised her for her actions. It had been hours since she had seen Legolas, and she had learned that Galadriel and Celeborn had already departed to return to their home in Lothlorien before she had the chance to speak to them about her travels to Mandos. Thranduil quickly finished his glass of wine during his ranting when he finally gave Alannah permission to speak.

"I know I should apologize for my actions my lord, but I can't. I won't." Alannah responded. Thranduil narrowed his eyes at her as he leaned forward on his throne.

"You put the lives of many elves on the line as my son led the remainder of our forces on your rescue mission as well as risked the security of my kingdom. Yet you do not apologize still? Or what about the turmoil you've put my son through?" He fumed as he calculated his response. "The two of you have been invited to spend the summer in Gondor, perhaps you take your leave early. I'll need the time to lessen my frustrations with you before you return home." Thranduil quipped as he waved her away.

Alannah stomped out of the throne room, knowing her frustrations were much greater than Thranduil and Legolas's combined. She quickly made her way back to their bedroom, noticing Legolas had still not returned as she began to pace. An elf attendant walked inside, laying down a tray of food for Alannah's lunch.

"Will you please find my husband and bring him to me?" Alannah asked as she searched for something she could use to pack her clothes for the journey. She smiled softly as the elf bowed and quickly left the room, satisfied that at least one person was showing her kindness. Unable to find a trunk or bag large enough, she lay on the bed and decided to rest her eyes until Legolas returned.

~

The sound of the bedroom door closing woke Alannah as Legolas walked across the room. Still he was silent, not speaking to her as he laid his bow down and began to remove his jerkin. She noticed it was nearly night time and quickly grew annoyed with his actions.