Chapter 9: Clark!!

I closed my locker as school and my meeting with the student council ended. I looked at my phone as I just got a text from my mom.

Sorry, sweetie. There was some unexpected problems with one of patients and we won't be able to pick you up.  — Mom

I groaned at the text. My parents haven't picked me up from school once in 2 months straight. I copied and pasted a previous text.

Don't worry. I'll just ask someone I know to pick me up. — Tsunade

I sighed as I started to go through my contacts. 'This always happens, but they can't help it. They're busy. I really need a drivers license.'

I also can't walk home either because of those stupid crossing guards saying I'm not old enough to walk across the street without adult supervision!

I debated in my head who I should call this time until I settled on the one who would most likely be doing nothing at this time of the day.

I swiped to Clark as I recalled him saying that it's been a slow couple of days in the Daily Planet. I put my phone at my ears for a couple of seconds until he picked up.

"Hey, Clark. It's me." I said as I sat down on a bench outside of the school.

I heard him let out a knowing sigh on the other side of the phone. "Do you need me to pick you up from school?"

I chuckled at his tone a bit as this wasn't the first, nor the last, time I called a member of the Justice League to pick me up when my parents couldn't. "Yup." I replied back quickly.

"I'll be there in a few minutes." He announced as I heard a few papers shuffling.

I smiled gratefully, even though he couldn't see it. "Thanks!" I hung up.

I started to play games on my phone while I waited and true to his words, about a half hour later, Clark's car drove and stopped in front of the school.

I picked up my backpack and got in the car and thanked him for the ride. He gave me a kind smile. "No problem."

We arrived at at my house and I stepped out the car. "Do you want to come in for a snack or drink as thanks?" I asked, inviting him over.

Clark shook his head. "No, it's okay. I'm good. I still got some work to do."

I looked at him with narrowed eyes as I wanted to talk to him about something. "I heard about the bus incident the other day and your behavior to Superboy." I told him seriously.

A soft wind blew past us as he sported a shocked look at the out of the blue statement, then had annoyance laced on his features. "Are you going to say the same thing as Bruce and claim that I should be a father to him?!" He raised his voice slightly. Ah, so Bruce already talked to him about this.

I already started to lose my patience. "No, I'm not expecting you to act like a father to a clone you just knew about and met, but the way you've been acting towards him is unacceptable and is hurting him! You can't keep running away from him and you know that!!"

He gritted his teeth as he rubbed his temples. "I know!! It's just that his presence unnerves me and makes me uncomfortable!! Just drop it!!"

It suddenly became quiet for a few seconds as we both sighed and began to gather our thoughts.

I gave him an apologetic look. "I'm sorry for forcing the conversation on you like that. It's just...this isn't like you, Clark. You've always been accepting of others, no matter the what planet they were from, their gender, or if they're your enemy. I've never seen you like this."

He expression changed and he gave me a small smile. "I know, but this is different."

I started to walk into my house and looked back at him right before I stepped in. "I get it. I'll give you more time, but try not to do something stupid because you let your emotions get the best of you."

He nodded his head and waved goodbye. "I'll try."

Once I was inside, I put my backpack down and went to the secret room to work on my medicines and poisons. I thought it might help me get my mind off of Superboy and Clark.

I just hope those two can work things out before things get worse.

While I was adding a tiny piece of a Lingzhi mushroom into a mini graduated cylinder to find a cure for rheumatoid arthritis, I got a call from Bruce. I put the phone to my ear. "What is it?"

"The covert team is getting a new member. An archer to replace Speedy as he's not being too cooperative right now." His voice said as it came from the phone.

I snorted at that while I was mixing some chemicals. That's an understatement.

Bruce continued on as if he hadn't heard it. "I'm just letting you know so that you don't get introduced to her by surprise."

I nodded my head as I added the mixture carefully into the graduated cylinder with a pipette. "Thanks."

"And one more thing. I need a favor." Bruce sounded very serious this time, even for him.

I narrowed my eyes at his tone. "What?"

"I need you to find information on an organization called the Light. I have reasons to believe that Lex is involved with this, so try and find as much as you can through him. I'm also researching others I find suspicious, but we need to spread out for more info."

I nodded my head as we both knew I excelled at breaking in and gathering information. "Okay. I'll try to get back to you on what I can find in two days." I hung up and sighed as I looked at my mixture in disappointment as it didn't turn out like I had hoped.

I guess it means I have to start over and it's back to the drawing board.

I looked at the time. 5:00 pm. I narrowed my eyes as I thought about the assignment Bruce gave me. I know the location of the LexCorp, but sneaking in might be a little difficult with all the security placed.

I turned towards my computers and started to make my preparations.

To be continued...