04 | M i c h a e l

LOUIS' HEAD SNAPPED AROUND TO look behind them, his eyes narrowed ever so slightly. Melanie frowned at the sudden look of confusion clouding over his features. What could possibly shock The Devil?

"What is it?" Melanie asked, looking around to see what had caught his eye. She couldn't see anything but the dull landscape around them.

"Someone else is here," Louis answered before striding away from Melanie. She ran after him, his longer legs carrying him faster across the bleak landscape than her own shorter legs.

"Another dead person?" Melanie questioned and she saw Louis nod sharply, his eyes trained straight ahead. The quicker he walked, the more his black coat billowed out around him like a cape. He stopped suddenly and tilted his head to the side before continuing forward.

"They're not in the town, just outside it," Louis said as they walked past the town's 'Welcome' sign and down the road leading to where Melanie had woken up. She shuddered as they neared the oak tree she had been lying beside.

"Maybe it's someone I know?" Melanie wondered aloud and Louis shrugged.

"Maybe."

As they walked further to the tree line, Melanie stopped dead. A dark silhouette stood in the darkened shrubbery, tall and broad-shouldered. Male, Melanie thought. She had a lot of male friends, and a feeling of foreboding overcame her. Had one of her friends died too?

"Hello?" called the boy and Melanie looked over at Louis who was standing with his eyes shut. She was about to ask what he was doing but was cut off when the dead person spoke again. "You! Over there, can you tell me where I am?" The stranger stepped out from under the trees and slowly started to near Louis and Melanie. She squinted at him, making out a head of blonde hair. Her eyes widened as she recognized him.

"Michael!" (A/N: Just to clear things up, the Michael in this story is NOT Michael Clifford. You'll find out the significance of his name later on!) she gasped out. "It's me, Melanie!" Before she had died, she remembered noticing him bobbing through the crowd at Rachel's party to get to his girlfriend. They were good friends, almost as close as her and Rachel were.

"Mel!" he called out, eyes wide. "What's going on? Where are we?" She could see the panic in his eyes and then anger when he saw Louis. "Was it him? Did he do something to you?!"

Louis rolled his eyes. "I wouldn't touch a hair on her head," he said before smirking. "Or anywhere else on her body."

That's all it took or Michael to run at him. He hit out at Louis who dodged each assault easily. Melanie was yelling at them to stop fighting, but her calls were unheard as the two scrapped before her.

All of a sudden, Louis pushed out against Michael's chest and he was thrown backwards to the ground in a heap.

Melanie slapped Louis across the cheek, causing his head to snap to the side. He slowly glared down at her and once again she watched as his eyes turned red.