16 | S h o p p i n g

Dedicated to @londonstars for being such a great person to talk to. Ily! x

MELANIE WAS SCROLLING THROUGH HER phone as Molly and Derek argued about what colour of dress would be best to buy for the school dance. The squabbling had gone on for a good five minutes and Melanie had gradually shifted a little to the left to avoid being seen with the two crazy people.

"Blue will compliment my eyes!" Molly said as she pulled out the skirt of a flowing blue gown. "And it will also make me look slimmer! Blue has that effect on my hips."

"No, it makes you look like a corpse. This isn't a Tim Burton themed dance, you twit!" said Derek with an eye roll. "Honestly, I'm a guy and I have a better fashion sense that you. Honestly!"

"Shut up! Just because you know fashion doesn't mean you know what suits me and doesn't."

"Oh, honey, that's where you're completely wrong."

Melanie rolled her eyes and sat down on the stool allocated at the end of the shoe aisle. She glanced momentarily along the racks, trying to find a pair of heels that would look good on her. Nothing caught her interest and she let out a sigh, hoping for a miracle. The day had gone by without one dress, pair of shoes or accessories catching her eye and the day was so soon. The main worry was of what Louis would think. What sort of dress would he like to see on her?

At first, she had considered a knee-length red one to resemble flames, like the fires of Hell. She remembered Lucifer's red skin and eyes, deciding that if he changed into his normal form, the two of them would clash. The horror! And so, that dress was out of the question. The second she had noticed was a flowing blue dress which was tight at the bust with sparkles alone the sweet-heart neckline. She'd cringed at the thought of Louis saying it was overly girly but then she remembered it was her choice. Yet, that didn't make her love the blue one any more. With a sigh, she'd let is swing back on the rail.

"Blue!"

"Pink!"

"Blue!"

"Pink!"

Melanie groaned and snapped, "Fucking shut up! You sound like the fairies in Sleeping Beauty! God."

Derek scowled at her and whispered 'blue' one more time before walking over to where Melanie was slouching. "Why so glum?"

Melanie shrugged. "Can't find a nice dress."

"Melanie we are surrounded by nice dresses and you're seriously telling me that not even one has caught your eye?"

She shrugged. "There's been a few but nothing that I really, really like, you know? I want something bold yet sleek and kinda sexy. Something that shouts, 'I am here to have a good time and knock you all out of the park'. Something with a dramatic flare, something - exactly like that!"