20 | U n c e r t a i n

"SO ... WE'RE NOT GOING TO sneak upstairs for a quickie?" Melanie asked as Louis gently dropped her at the school entrance. Her head still ached ever so slightly from the arguing that had occurred only moments previously but Louis' wide grin was enough to cast her worries aside. It was funny how easily he could make her smile again.

Michael was being unreasonable. That was the bottom line and no matter what, Melanie would not change her mind about it. Obviously it was nice to know he cared about her enough to go to the extremes of challenging Satan to keep her safe but even after Melanie's constant pleas to drop it, he wouldn't. That was what made her angry. Finally, when she could no longer take it she had told him to leave.

Louis cleared his throat before turning to face her. It was almost like a scene from a movie - the handsome male turned and glanced over his shoulder to lock gazes with the girl whose heart began to beat twice the speed it was before. Melanie felt it, the heavy thumping of her heart as she looked back into Louis' eyes, his sinfully gorgeous eyes.

"I think..." Louis began, his hands reaching out to cup her cheeks, "that we can give that a miss, Cooper. What do you think?"

You want it just as bad as me, you fucking tease, she thought, so c'mon and admit it.

"Er," she began. "Yeah - I was only joking, after all!"

Louis raised a brown and took a step closer, his nose brushing against her own. "Are you quite certain of that? Because you sounded pretty convincing to me a few minutes ago."

"I'm good at teasing," she said with a small shrug. "And acting."

"Hm," Louis hummed as he pecked her nose. His lips were cold, she noticed and she wondered why.

"So, now what?" Melanie asked as she slid her hand into Louis'. "More dancing, socialising and finger food?"

She saw Louis cringe. "What a combination. All evil things lined up in a row."

"To to be fair, you're probably more evil that the lot."

"Yeah, I suppose you're right," Louis admitted with a grin. "However, I am a fantastic dancer, a superb people-person and I sure as hell taste a lot better than the sandwiches and crap sitting on the table in there."

"Yeah, I bet you do..." Melanie found herself mumbling. Once realising she had spoken aloud, she tried to cover her mistake with a cough. Louis watched her curiously, his hand squeezing hers tightly before he tugged her towards the school building.

Once back inside, Melanie was confused as to why Louis suddenly turned left and began leading her up towards the maths corridor.

"Louis-"

"It's OK, just keep quiet and follow me," he promised her. "Perhaps we should go upstairs to ... celebrate another month of being alive, huh?"