19 | A r g u e

LOUIS BRISKLY LED MELANIE TOWARDS the exit. There was no way for him to deny the irritation he felt after seeing Michael again - once had been quite enough. He let out a sigh as he led the human girl through the dancing crowd and into the cool night air. Several curious students observed the two of them as Louis turned a corner and continued to walk towards the back of the building. He could hear footsteps behind them and he rolled his eyes.

"I take it Michael doesn't like surprises?" Louis asked Melanie as she jogged to keep up with him.

"Slow down, I'm wearing heels!" she complained.

Louis frowned and looked at her feet. "No you're not."

"But if I were, I'd be in a lot of pain right now and it would be completely your fault. Why are you even speed walking? No, wait - where are you speed walking? All that's round the back of the building is the gardens and a few rubbish bins."

"We've got company," Louis bluntly stated as he finally came to a halt beside a tree. "I think more beatings are about to occur."

"What do you-"

"Right!" Michael called as he stomped around the corner to face Melanie and Louis. The wild look in his eyes made Louis want to laugh - he looked ridiculous and not to mention absolutely terrified. The mere fact that Louis could scare the mortal before him had him grinning like a mad man. "Wipe that stupid grin off your face!"

"What? My satisfied grin?" Louis questioned as he sarcastically smiled as wide as he could. Michael's eyes narrowed and the tension between the two males grew rapidly. Louis glanced at Melanie who seemed to be fidgeting awkwardly with her hands.

"Guys, calm down." Her tone was playful, like the whole situation was a laugh. Michael didn't seem to think so as he reached forward and pulled her away from Louis side.

"Melanie, stay back for a minute," Michael warned a he pushed her behind him defensively. "What the fuck are you doing here? You shouldn't be here!"

"Since when do you decide where I should and shouldn't be, Quinn?"

"Bugger off back to Hell, Satan!" Michael demanded, scowling at Louis like a child who was denied a treat. Louis couldn't help but laugh at the scene before him. You stupid twát, he thought as he crossed his arms over his chest, you think you're scaring me and that you look all tough and butch protecting Melanie. You're just pathetic.

"No," Louis simply said before reaching out a hand towards Michael. He watched the human boy gulp as fire started flickering in the palm of his hand. "Now move out of the way before I burn your balls off."

"Louis!" Melanie hissed as she shoved Michael out of the way and made her way over to him. "Be nice, for the love of ... well, you know."

"Oh, I know very well, Melanie," Louis said as his eyes remained on Michael. "However, it is not I threatening or being unnecessarily rude to him. It is the opposite - this is self defence."