26 | N e x t

MELANIE HADN'T THOUGHT about it for years, their separation. Thinking about that day only brought on an uncomfortable ache in her chest, especially if she let herself dwell on it for too long.

It had been a painful but necessary farewell. Melanie didn't regret it because in the moment it had felt right and for the years following, she had remained adamant about that.

When things had started to go downhill between her and Gregory, she realised she'd made a horrible mistake. There were times when she and her husband had fought for hours, verbal often turning to physical, where Melanie had then longed for someone who would be there to comfort her. To remind her that it would be alright. And perhaps to threaten Greg with a ball-burning if he didn't start treating her right.

She knew Louis wouldn't have hesitated to display his pyromaniac tendencies if she'd told him about how badly Greg had treated her throughout the years.

She had missed him like hell. 

The sudden onslaught of memories left Melanie slightly disorientated. She couldn't put into words how strange it was to have that blank space in her mind suddenly full once more with those cherished memories, ones she still couldn't believe she'd forgotten. 

It felt so damn good to remember everything about her life. About her teenage years, about Louis and even the years when things had started to go downhill. Every experience had shaped her into who she was and without all of those memories, she was only half of what made up Melanie McCauley.

Cooper, a voice whispered in her mind. Melanie Cooper.

Louis squeezed her hand suddenly. "Uh, the Beyond to Melanie?"

"Huh?"

"You spaced out," he told her. "Typical Melanie - zoning out when a literal masterpiece is sitting before you. The audacity."

Melanie cocked a brow. "It's good to see that time apart hasn't deflated your ego."

Louis huffed incredulously. "Nothing could."

Melanie doubted that very much. All it took was a single mention of those residing in Heaven for Louis to cringe. Literally cringe, as though the mention of his father's name was a physical pain. Perhaps it was?

"I was just remembering that night," Melanie admitted after a moment.

Louis' hand slacked ever so slightly. "I get it if you're still mad at me. It was a stupid thing to do and I'm as sorry now as I was back then. More so, in fact. I didn't mean for things to get so out of hand ... no pun intended."

"I know," Melanie acknowledged. "I know you never wanted to hurt me, or anyone that I loved."

"Of course not," Louis said, furrowing his brow. "I did apologise profusely to Michael when he passed away."

A pang shot through Melanie's chest. 

Michael had died peacefully in his sleep at seventy-three, his lungs admitting defeat to the cancer that had corrupted them slowly throughout the years. She had been heart-broken, by his side with his children - her godchildren - and wife, Tracey, as he'd passed on. 

He had been in the hospital for only a month before he'd died but to Melanie it had felt like an eternity. 

"Did he accept your apology?" Melanie asked.

Louis grinned. "What do you think?"

So no then, Melanie thought. "He's always been a stubborn one, what can I say?"

"You're telling me," Louis muttered. "Hell, I apologised so many times that the word sorry was beginning to sound foreign. I even questioned if I were still speaking English. Yet would he accept it? Accept any of them?" Louis paused as if for dramatic effect before huffing, "No."