18 | D a n c e

THE MUSIC COULD BE HEARD before the school could even be seen. Continuous thumping of dance music hit Melanie's ears as soon as the two of them left the park. From a distance, she couldn't make out what song it was but it was obvious that it was some top hit in the charts. Louis' nose wrinkled as he listened to the music. 

"Bit tedious, is it not?" he questioned.

Melanie glanced up at him and shrugged. "I like most music so I don't mind it. I suppose it depends on your music taste. What sort of music do you like if not the ridiculously catchy pop with annoyingly good choruses?"

Louis chuckled quietly. "I don't really have a music taste. I was surrounded by angel chorus and hymns for the majority of my life in Heaven and they taunt me still to this day. I wouldn't say it's terrible song - angel song, that is - it's just something that reminds me of those days."

"So, all church songs and religious tune is all you really know? Damn," Melanie said, shaking her head. "I need to educate in music, Louis. I have great CDs and so do my parents. A bit of rock here and there and then more classical. I love classical."

"You continue you to surprise me every day, Melanie Cooper," Louis told her as he gently grasped her hand in his and twirled her around. "A woman of many surprises."

She laughed quietly at his words, enjoying the way he almost classed her as some incredible figure told of in bed time stories or around the camp fire. He spoke so highly of her at times, that she found it ridiculously amusing that he was still friendly with her and wanted to be seventy years into the future.

"I don't care what your excuses are Lucifer, but you're going to dance with me before you disappear back to Hell," she strictly told him.

Louis was baffled. "Of course," he said incredulously, as if her statement were the more obvious thing in the world. "If I remember correctly, this is a dance we're heading to, no?"

"Yeah, but you were so reluctant to go, so I needed to be very clear and thorough with you. We're gonna dance like it's the last night of our lives."

"Well, I'm immortal so I don't know how I'll end up dancing as the hours go on..." Louis said, trailing off as the pair of them turned left, and entered through the school gates. There were several students standing outside the gates smoking, several were making out by the school doors and then there were others who were chatting away quite happily before entering the building. Melanie and Louis walked by them all, straight into the school where the music instantly grew louder.

"Holy shit," Melanie suddenly gasped. Louis jumped slightly and turned to face her, a frown on his face.

"What?" he asked.

"Are you visible? Can everyone here see you? Because if not, I will hate you for making me look like a complete arse by walking in here by myself."

Louis laughed loudly and nodded. "I'm as visible as ever. Don't worry, I would never trick you."