106. STEVE: (Through the) Age(s)... of Ultron

Start from the beginning

Y/N scowls sternly and Steve can't help but quickly imagine this as the face she'll use to discipline their most likely unruly child. It will be half his, after all, and he was never known to behave very well. "Steve. You're injured."

"I'm not worried about it." Steve stops himself when he realizes that he might not be worried but that Y/N probably is. He lets out a breath, taking a seat on the couch as his friends finish gathering themselves at the center of the room. He tries to keep straight what it is that everyone is going on about as Y/N wipes debris from beneath his left eye. Occasionally the woman steps in to give her two-sense. She's one of the smartest people there, after all, and has clearance to discuss anything because she works for SHIELD (she's refused to go on maternity leave until the baby is actually in her arms). When her husband blames Tony, Y/N's there to tell him to take a step back and realize that he hadn't done anything with bad intentions in mind. When everyone begins the search for Ultron and the preparations for a war, Y/N is there helping in every single way that she can.

Everyone's seen what happened to Sokovia. It's been all over the news. Kids have been writing reports on the event for years. Every year on the anniversary CNN airs a documentary piece. Only those who watched the news at the time can really understand just how truly terrifying the whole thing really turned out to be. It was a world-wide traumatic event, but for Y/N and her husband Steve it hit much closer to home than the average family watching TV from across seas.

"You shouldn't be here."

"I'll be wherever I want to be, Steve." Y/N kneels down to touch the bleeding forehead of a small child—an injury much like the one she'd mended on her dear husband just a few weeks prior. This time though, instead of being in the comfort of Stark Towers, she's on a turbulent rescue ship that lingers in the air around the floating city of Sokovia.

Steve had no idea Y/N was going to be anywhere near the hellish scene. He'd left her at home with belief that she'd keep true to her promise and stay in New York City. Now, looking back, he realizes just how naïve he'd been to believe that his wife would willingly stay away from something so big where she could offer a helping hand.

"There's nothing you can do now, Steve. I'm already here." Y/N maneuvers her baby bump out of the way of a patient as she tries to wrap a wound with her husband hovering over her shoulder. He's in his uniform, the one she finds dangerously attractive and draws her eyes straight to his perky butt, but wearing an unfortunate frown on his face. "Get out of here, Rogers. I'm fine—you need to go and fight." She sees the unsureness on his face and sighs. She stands, leaving her patient alone for a moment. "Steve, honey," she talks sweetly. His face relaxes but only slightly. Something explodes in the near distance but Steve ignores it—seeing only Y/N's face as it lingers a few inches from his. Her hands reach up to run through his ash-littered hair. "I'm going to be fine. I'm not going to put our baby in any danger. I'll be in this ship the whole time. They're bringing the injured people to me." She pushes some of the hair out of his face and he leans lovingly into her touch. "I promise you—we're all going to be okay."

Steve nods unsurely. He swallows, taking a deep breath of her perfume to calm himself. He closes his eyes and wraps his arms around her frame. Steve indulges himself in her presence but for one moment. He knows it's selfish, but part of him is relieved to see her here. Despite the fact she's in danger, he knows as long as she's here he can personally keep her safe: and, at the end of the day, he's braver as long as he knows that she's there behind his shoulder.

"I love you," Steve whispers into her hair. He grips her tightly and buries his face into her neck. "You mean everything to me." His subconscious memorizes the smell of her shampoo, the warmth of her small arms, the feeling of her fingers on his neck, as if he's never going to experience any of these lovely things ever again.