53. BUCKY: In The Next Life Part 3

Words: 4.7K

A/N: This is a part three requested by @BuckysGirl42 ! Let me know what you think! I hope you like it!!

~Winnie

"How does this look?"

From around the corner, in the little peeking cubby above the kitchen sink, Bucky pops his head up to look into the living room. His brows gnarl as he takes in the view. Considering the new arrangement of furniture he hums.

"Looks good," he eventually says in the most unreadable, unemotional voice you've ever heard.

A frown pulls at your lips. In your oversized Christmas jumper (even though it's only October) you sulk with crossed arms. "Now why do say it like that?"

Bucky sighs as he goes back to stirring the soup he's got on the stove. "Because I don't understand why we've gotta move the furniture around every two weeks. There are only so many different places you can put the couch. And it looked fine where it was."

"Sure, it looked fine, but HGTV inspires me. Besides—it's supposed to boost morale when you rearrange."

"Morale? I didn't know we were low on that," Bucky chuckles softly. He glances back at you when you come into the kitchen. Against the wall you lean and watch as he adds more salt to the pot.

"We're not. But you never know when you'll need it."

Bucky's blue eyes dart back to the living room. "You'll have to move the lamp again. I can't see the TV from here."

Dramatically you grunt. "And why do we need to see the TV from here anyway?"

Bucky throws up his hands—one of which still holds the wooden spoon. "How else am I supposed to follow along with Rachael Ray?!"

You throw your hands up too: in surrender. "Fine, fine. I'll succumb to your crush on Rachael and move the lamp." You walk back to the living room with the newly arranged furniture. Your two couches, chair, and three little tables look rather cute like this you think. Especially since you went out to buy more trinkets from Target. In fact, your whole apartment is rather adorable. You and Bucky moved out of the tower and into the flat just after you got back from Hawaii. Eloping on the island was probably the best decision you've ever made—even if Steve was pissed he didn't get to be there. It's been five months of marital bliss with the love of your life far away from the Avenger's in your hometown—close enough to your family to make it up to your poor mother that you'd died.

"Come back here and try this for me, babe."

"Oh so now you need my opinion?" you tease but still follow when he beckons. Back in the kitchen you stand next to him on bare feet.

"Shut up and take a bite, butterfly." Bucky's sideways smirk is something that always gets you to melt in a puddle. He passes over a spoon and you take a taste of the soup—not sure that you're going to like it. He chuckles when he sees the nervousness on your face shift into surprise.

"Wow. That's actually really good." Thank god Banner figured out a way to fix your taste buds. Well—to the best of his abilities. You still struggle to taste certain things, softer flavors like vanilla, but the stronger things are now visible to your tongue. It's really the only reason Bucky learned how to cook. He knows what herbs stand out to you—rosemary and basil more than anything else—and he uses those. Citrus always tastes, too.

"Don't sound so surprised," Bucky laughs.

"No, no, I'm not. You're a better cook than me," you admit. You toss your spoon into the too-full sink and then pull yourself up onto the counter. Bucky admires you with a slight twinkle to his eye as you shuffle to get comfortable on the hard granite. "I just don't really like soup."