94. STEVE: Excuse the Interruption

A/N: Not the BEST thing I've ever written, but it's not bad! Just a fun little filler before all the Bucky requests start to come out... I think I have five right now! Thank you to everyone who requested! I'll tag you when they're posted :)

Thank you all for reading!

Winnie

Words 2.5K

"I'm telling you: I'm stronger than I look."

Steve glances over to his friend Bucky with a raised brow. There you stand, in the middle of the living room, blocking their view of the TV. You're three days into convincing Steve to become your trainer. You're getting tired of your appointed trainer—not that you want to reveal why. The real reason for wanting to change things up is to spend more time with Steve, but you tell him it's that you're not learning fast enough with the other guy.

"Like I said, Y/N, it has nothing to do with your strength."

Bucky snorts dryly. "Despite the fact that you've got the physical stamina of an eight year old." He takes a bite of bologna on rye.

You cross your arms. Looking to Steve, you ask, "Is he always this rude?"

Steve shrugs. "Only when he watches Gossip Girl."

Bucky doesn't argue: only eats more food.

Steve returns to the subject at hand by saying, "It's got nothing to do with what you can or cannot do—"

"Hate to interrupt," you interject.

Bucky shakes his head. "No, you don't. You interrupt us all the time."

You move away from the TV and take a seat beside Steve. "But I think you're missing the point."

Steve sighs. He looks absolutely drained to be talking to you. You find this slightly disheartening before willing yourself not to give up. "And what's the point, Y/N?"

"The point is that Bucky's right," you say.

Bucky pauses chewing. "I am?"

"For once, yes." You point to him for effect. "I'm the weakest member of the team. I need to be properly trained if I want to keep up and, I don't know, stay alive."

"I wouldn't teach you anything different than Greg would," Steve argues. He leans back into the couch—stretching his long, denim clad legs out ahead of him. He's wearing socks but no shoes.

It takes a moment to come up with a reasonable argument for this one. When you finally conjure up something, Steve stops you.

"I'm sorry, Y/N. My plate is just too full. I can't train you."

The tone of his voice is decisive and stern. You know better than to argue with the Captain at this point.

"Fine, fine." You stand. Suddenly you feel uncomfortable. You glance back behind you at the game show on TV, hearing Bucky crunching on potato chips, and breathe deeply. "Thanks anyway."

You grab your coat, which you'd brought down with you from upstairs, and leave the room. Bucky's neck is craned back to watch you leave—making sure you're all the way gone before he says to Steve, "Way to be a fuckin' idiot, jackass."

"What?" Steve tries to play dumb. He reaches for the remote but Bucky's got it first—whapping Steve along the side of the head with it. "God damn! What's your problem, Buck?"

Bucky tosses the remote into Steve's lap. "You're an idiot, that's my problem."

Steve's face is smothered in a scowl. "Mind explaining exactly why?"