Chapter One

Chapter one.

I play nervously with one of the strings hanging off my shirt. Demi drags me over to the swings and hops onto the only open one.

I hate when the park is full of people. Large crowds make me nervous. Well actually people make me nervous. I guess you could say I'm socially awkward. I'm just on the shy side.

"Will you push me, Pleaseee!" She pouts cutely.

"Yeah, of course." Demi grins at me as I walk behind her and start gently pushing on her back. I don't let her get too high, I wouldn't want her to fall off and get hurt.

Hearing the giggles of excitement coming from her I relax a bit. I really shouldn't be worried about anything. I can pass for Demi's older brother. No one has to know we're not as good as them.

"Higher!" She pleads. She's already going higher than I'd like but I guess it can't be too bad. She won't fall off.

"Okay Demi, but hold on tight. I don't want you to fall off." I tell her with caution.

"I won't!" She promises. "I'm holding on really tight!"

I take a deep breath. She's okay John. Quit worrying. You worry too much. Way too much. You'll never be able to live normally worrying like that.

A loud thump sends me out of my trance. My eyes widen. Demi's screams and cries ring throughout my ears. I quickly rush to her side. Carefully scooping her up into my arms and I hug her tight. 

"What happened?! I told you to hold tight!" I look into her teary eyes.

"I'm sorry!" She pouts. "I didn't mean to!"

"Come on we have to bandage you up." I tell her, frowning at the bleeding cut on her knee. "It'll all be okay Demi." I kiss her head.

"Excuse me," I freeze, "I couldn't help but notice what just happened. I have a bunch of younger siblings so I always carry a first aid kit. You need a few Band-Aids ?"

At first I'm a little hesitant to answer. I've never seen this guy before in my life...and he's talking to me!

"I-I uh.." I can't even say a simple world like yes. I really am shy...

"Come on, I'll help you!" He smiles, flashing his pearl white teeth.

Not saying a word I follow the strange blonde. He leads me to a park bench. "Oh, by the way my name is Foster." He grins.

"I'm Demi! That's John! He's shy!"  I'm not sure how he did it but Foster made Demi stop crying. When Demi cries it can last hours. How on earth could he bounce up, flash a smile, and cheer her up?! I've tried everything!

"I've noticed," Foster smiles at me. "You don't have to be nervous around me. I'm accepting of everyone!"

He takes out a white box, opens it and grabs two Band-Aids. He hands them to me.

"Uh," I take a deep breath. "Thanks, thank you."

Foster smile and pats my head. "It's no big deal! Hey I was wondering if maybe you'd like you just hang around a while. I'm sure my younger siblings would love to have another friend to play with."

Demi starts squaring. "John let me go!! I wanna go play!"

Being the weakling that I am, Demi easily slips from my arms. I look down. If she leaves I'll be forced to stay with Foster and Bree. Two people I don't know. I hate being in situations when I know no one. But I can't say no to Demi...

"Alright, just don't stay too long." I smile at her. "But first let me put your Band-Aid on."

Demi sits down on the bench and lifts her leg up do I can easily put the rainbow Band-Aid on her cut.