The Quest: Chapter 34

Start from the beginning

He led her down a series of staircases, winding down into the ground deep below. The vala kept a tight hold on Alannah as she became disoriented, only releasing his protective grasp when they reached the bottom.

"As we discussed Mandos?" Irmo asked as he looked ahead in the darkness. Alannah looked curiously as he waved his arm, his garments able to light up the room. Another vala sat on a throne in the middle of the room, his eyes hidden by his hood. The dark figure's mouth stayed drawn into a tight line as he nodded his head and extended his arm to the right. Footsteps could be heard making their way towards Alannah in the dark room. She moved behind Irmo, unknowing who or what was approaching her.

"Why do you cower from your father child?" Irmo asked as he peered at her over his shoulder. Alannah froze at his words and the footsteps suddenly stopped. She stepped out from behind him and came face to face with the man she had seen only in her dreams.

"Father?" She choked out in disbelief. The man closed the space between them and wrapped his arms tightly around her.

"Erulisse, my daughter." He cried. Alannah began to weep in his arms, the reality of the moment settling in. He pulled her away and held her at arm's length, taking in her features as she stood in front of him. Alannah studied him intently, noting his dark blonde hair and how his green eyes matched her own.

"One minute." Irmo announced as they embraced each other once more, not able to come up with the words to fill in the lifetime they had been apart.

"I love you Erulisse. I pray you find happiness and live a long and fulfilling life. I'm so sorry I wasn't able to be a part of it." Her father spoke as he ran his fingers through her dark hair.

"I love you too father. Will I see you again?" She asked, knowing they had mere seconds left together. It looked as if the question pained him as he bent down and kissed her forehead.

"I'm sorry, but no Erulisse. I am but a man, not elf kind like you and your mother. Never forget that I love you my sweet daughter. You are my joy." His words faded as quickly as he did as his soul was quickly ushered away. Alannah could still feel the warmth of his arms lingering on her skin as she stood in the dark room with Irmo and Mandos.

Mandos and Irmo nodded to one another before Mandos extended his arm, this time to the left. Once again, footsteps echoed through the room, but much softer than her fathers were moments before. A beautiful and young elven woman ran up to Alannah, taking her in her arms in a soft embrace.

"Naneth!" Alannah cried as she buried her face into the woman's chest. Her mother stroked her hair and began to hum a soft lullaby.

"I love you Erulisse, but do not cry my child, we will be rejoined again one day." Her mother smiled softly as she looked into Alannah's eyes. Alannah clung to her mother, knowing her time with her would also be swift.

"I don't know what to say." Alannah choked out, doing her best to hold her tears back. Her mother laughed softly as she kissed her daughter's cheeks.

"Sometimes we don't have to say anything at all, just enjoy what time we have together." She whispered. Alannah let her mother wrap her arms around her and hold her tightly to her chest for the remainder of their time, allowing her love and warmth to comfort her even long after she had faded away.

Alannah wiped the tears from her eyes as she regained her composure. A myriad of emotions pulled her heart in different directions before she finally felt the closure she had sought. She bowed deeply to Mandos, thanking him for the rare kindness he had extended to her before turning back to Irmo.

"Thank you." She whispered gratefully as she wiped her tear stained cheeks. "I am ready to go back."

Irmo and Mandos seemed to exchange a knowing glance to one another before shaking their heads in unison.