[1] A Rebel's Turf

I woke to the sound of rain. 

In the dead silence, the rhythm of the rain was soothing and gentle. It echoed through out the unit, a soft melody playing in the early morning. I sighed, closing my eyes. I knew it was futile to go back to sleep but I laid there hoping anyway. At least I wasn't disturbed by night terrors this time around. I couldn't explain what they were about but they were terrifying, almost like lucid dreams that made no sense. I had been having night terrors ever since I woke up from my coma.

I turned my head to the side. I could just make out the glow of white bed sheets in the bunk next to mine and a small smile curved my lips. The little girl that slept in that bunk was practically my shadow around Redwood. Where ever I went, Mizzy was following. What ever I did, Mizzy was helping. Not that I minded. She was young and I had grown protective of her, so it worked out. 

By the time the early dawn light arrived, I was already dressed and gently opening the door of my unit. I couldn't stand it any longer, I had to do something to keep my mind occupied. One of my priorities around Redwood was hunting and I couldn't have been happier about it. I sucked in a lung full of the early morning air and grinned. It was going to be a good hunt today, I could feel it in my bones. 

My feet soundlessly followed the path through the woods that led me to the livestock unit. It was so early that not even the birds had woke for their morning songs. When I pulled open the door of the unit, startled snorts greeted me. 

"Easy." I called to the horses inside. 

Their hooves echoed on the floor as they moved in their stalls and I could make out their shadows enough to halter one. Curious clucking and the rustle of feathers let me know the chickens were still alive and I could hear the groans of the pigs as they slept. I fitted the horse with a bridle and secured a saddle upon its back before I pat its neck and led it outside. 

The horse followed me down the trail to the main base of camp and I felt comforted by the rhythmic beat of its hooves. I kept a look-out for anyone moving because some of the men could be quite rowdy and they didn't mind raising a fight. I led the horse towards the main building and I quickly collected my weapons from the box. After I secured my bow and quiver to the horse's side, I mounted up. 

I guided the horse out of camp and we began climbing the trail that wound up the mountain. I knew that there wouldn't be wildlife in the valley, the deer particularly enjoyed high grazing early in the morning. I ducked below some of the low hanging limbs, a few rubbing against my leg, and I noticed the moisture clinging to the leaves. The rain hadn't stopped too long ago. 

I scanned the area for signs of wildlife from between the horse's ears. Slowly, the sky grew brighter as dawn approached. My horse steadily plodded along until I pulled the reins. I spotted a particularly satisfying spot to hunt. A tiny little meadow with billowing green grass and a dense tree line to disguise myself in. I dismounted, loosely tying my horse so it could graze, and collected my bow. 

There couldn't have been a better location for me to settle down and wait for my prey. I knew that I was pretty lucky to be able to see the world like this. Nature at its finest and untouched by humans. I guess the rest of the world was barren, from the stories I've heard, and the Ascended Districts only know concrete and artificial plants. It was bad out there and I often wondered if Redwood was all that was left. 

Suddenly, I saw movement. I held my breath as a doe carefully picked her way into the meadow. She was cautious, ears alert, but she couldn't resist munching on the grass. Her tail flicked and then her head disappeared below the grass line. I stood up, bow in hand, and pulled an arrow from my quiver. The doe was oblivious as I notched my arrow. 

I waited for her to wander a little closer and then I pulled my arm back. I steadied my breath, exhaling slowly and held it for a second. Just as I was about to let the string slip through my fingers, she spooked. My breath deflated as I watched the doe bound off into the woods, white tail flashing a warning. There went dinner, I thought.  

Only a second later did I discover what had spooked her off. I heard boisterous laughter from a group of men that I knew all too well. I rolled my eyes, groaning. My horse perked its ears in question and I shook my head, patting its neck. There was no use in hunting now because any wildlife within five miles would be on the run right now, but that didn't ease my anger. 

I notched another arrow and squatted in the ferns. Three forms came into view, their feet tramping on multiple sticks and their mouths running louder than ever. My horse perked its ears, turning its head, and the movement caught the men's attention. They paused, murmuring to each other. I pulled my arm back and let an arrow fly in their direction. 

I watched the arrow strike a tree dangerously close to one of their heads and they all spun in surprise. I didn't wait for them to call me out, I stood up. A frown permanently etched into my face. 

"What the fuck, Riley?" One of the men growled. 

"That's the third time this week that you've chased off my game, Micheal." I spat back. 

"What did Rincho say about shooting at us?" Micheal said. 

I scoffed, "We're going to starve if you don't shut your mouth." 

"Want to say that again?" 

I stood my ground as Micheal marched closer, his two buddies trailing behind him. Maybe I had been afraid of him when I first arrived at camp but I wasn't that defenseless girl anymore. I had learned how to fight and stand up for myself. 

"Nothing to say, huh?" He taunted, "You've been a problem and I'm getting sick of it."

 I grit my teeth, "Back off, Micheal." 

"I don't think so." He grabbed my bow and tried to jerk it from my hand. 

My fist soared into his nose before he could go any further. His head whipped back and blood spurted from his nose. He cursed something at me but I wasn't listening. I stomped on his ankle, causing him to crumble into the ferns, and then I spun to grab the reins of my horse. 

I slipped my bow along the horse's side and quickly pulled myself into the saddle. Someone grabbed my arm, trying to pull me back down and I kicked my leg out. Micheal's goon grunted and I ripped my arm lose to crack my elbow across his face. 

I kicked my horse and it surged forward, knocking over the other guy who was trying to grab the reins from me. I managed to keep my balance with one stirrup as the horse leaped over a fallen log and galloped away from the scene. 

"This isn't over!" I heard Micheal scream. 

============ 

Interesting or boring? 

I'm so excited to be rewriting this! I love adding in details that aren't in the original version. Better yet, I can develop the characters more.