Humans are Strange

Start from the beginning

You were startled by her words. Tomoe rejected her? You pondered. You shook the thought from your head, and decided it would be best for you to intervene. It wouldn't be good for the two of them to make too much of a scene. Tomoe had a set of chopsticks in his hand, with a mushroom pinched in between. He reached for Nanami's face, but froze. You weren't sure what was causing his hesitation, but it seemed to bother both of them.

You placed a hand on Tomoe's shoulder. He straightened, and turned to look at you. "Why don't you go buy her a juice from the vending machine downstairs? She'll still get some nutrients, while not needing to force herself to eat." You suggested with a small smile. He hesitantly nodded, dropped the chopsticks, and left the classroom. When he was gone, you looked down at Nanami who was slumped in her seat. "Now, why don't you tell me what has you down?"

She didn't look up at you, she just glared at her bento. "It's nothing." She mumbled.

You chuckled, and pulled up a chair. "I find that hard to believe. You haven't spoken more than five words to me in the past two weeks."

"Why do you care?" Kei looked at you with a raised eyebrow.

"Tomoe and I are what you'd call childhood friends, and I have known Nanami for several months now." You smiled, slightly annoyed by the girl's rudeness. "Both of them are acting strangely, and I'd like to help if at all possible."

Kei and Ami both seemed surprised by your statement. "So, you're the girl." Kei muttered.

"I'm not sure what that phrase means. What girl do you think I am?"

"You're the one Tomoe rejected Nanami for." Kei stated rather bluntly.

You were taken aback by that sudden outburst. "I'm not sure what you may have interpreted, but Tomoe and I are just very close friends." You tried to maintain a smile.

"Nobody would think that considering how the two of you are always together." Kei grumbled.

Is this girl intentionally trying to upset me? You pondered, doing your best to keep your cool. "I couldn't date Tomoe." You replied.

"What does that mean?" Ami questioned in her characteristically innocent way.

You rubbed the back of your neck, trying to think of the simplest way to word it. "Tomoe and I are completely different. Our worlds can't interact that much." You tried to explain.

"That makes no sense." Kei barked.

You sighed, and tried again. "Think of it like a fox and a hound. While the fox and hound may interact, it would be detrimental to the fox if they interacted for too long." You clarified. This analogy seemed to catch Nanami's attention. You looked her straight in the eye. "No matter how much the fox and hound care for each other, the hunter would eventually come and kill the fox. That's why it is best for them to stay apart. The best way for the hound to show its love of the fox, is to forsake its own heart, and, in doing so, save the fox's life." Nanami looked at you, shock in her eyes. You could tell that she was slowly beginning to piece it all together.

"Whoa, that's a pretty deep analogy." Kei seemed impressed, but you could tell she didn't catch the full message.

Nanami seemed to relax a little, and smiled at you. "I'm sorry I've been such a jerk." She apologized.

"No worries." You returned her smile with an even brighter one. "I can't hold your feelings against you, so why dwell on it."

"We were talking about visiting the beach, why don't you come with us!" Nanami chirped.