Strangers No More

Start from the beginning

You're apart of the pack. Eyes watching the boy storm out, a huge part of you falls into a pit. Then you think of Taehyung, the make-out, and Oki hurting his best friend. Heat rising to your cheeks, you grab your thinks and try to be subtle. You fail. Your bag tangles with the corner of your seat. You follow Oki the same way he left.

The professor clears his throat, pretending nothing happened as he focuses back to the projector screen.

Hugging your books to your chest and blushes creeping over, you can see just how tense Oki is from how his tee hugs his shoulders and back. His bag is held by his hand in fists, while papers twist and turn from the notebook he mistreats. Boots clanking on the tiles of the silences hallway outside, you run, then speed-walk to slow down.

"O-Oki—" you don't continue when he stops immediately.

Holding in a breath, the boy doesn't turn and you're glad for it. To you, he's angry upset and impulsive. In reality, there are tears down his cheeks. He curses, not wanting to turn around.

Awkwardly, you forget your pride and anger when whispering, "What you did to Taehyung wasn't right. He's your best friend and you hurt him...I..." you swallow hard. The boy still hasn't turned and that makes you feel uneasy. This is harder than you initially thought. "...What happened between us was spontaneous and in the moment. Taehyung was high and drunk—not that—" You sigh, "—All I'm trying to make clear is that if you're going to be mad, don't take it out on him. Take it out on me."

Oki's shoulders relax a little. But then you blink, and they look as if they didn't move at all.

Nothing is said until a few later moments when you ask, "...Can I ask you something?"

Again, not moving or saying anything. You take that as a yes and say, "You hurt me. You ended us...You're the one who cheated..." You stare at the back of his head, holding on to your textbooks with dear life. "W-Why'd you get so angry whe—"

"He's my best friend and he made out with my ex," Oki says roughly. He masks the strain in his voice well. "It breaks rules in a friendship. How would you like it if Pela and I—"

"Okay," you cut him off. Your heart jumps a little at the thought and you despise it.

Oki breathes. "Can I ask you something?" his voice is soft.

"No."

He asks anyway. "Do you still love me?"

You ignore that. Heart twisting and eyes stinging in response. "Lay off Taehyung. You two have been friends for a long time I assume, keep it that way. Don't fuck it up."

Too late. "Are you worried about him from that night?"

"Any sane person would be..." you try to answer slowly, not wanting to have Oki assume anything. "You acted disgustingly."

"I'm sorry."

"Tell him that."

"I don't think he'll want to talk to me after what I tell him today," Oki says slowly.

Your brows furrow at that. "What does that mean?"

"Nothing."

Your index finger pokes at one edge of your book. "Okay."

Oki raises his arm and wipes the tears off his face as if he's wiping sweat.

"I fucked up with you. I really did. I never really apologized for hurting you..."

"I don't want to hear it."

"I'm sorry," he sighs. He finally turns around to look over with his red eyes and wet cheeks.