Chapter 32: Silenced Voices

Start from the beginning

I heard him laugh." Okay, okay, we can start now  " I heard him switch the music. " Start with the intro on to the first verse and the first chorus."

I felt my eyebrows frown. " That sounds a little rushed, don't you think?"

"Liyah..."

"What, I'm just sayin!"

"I have other things I need you to do. So, I'm gonna need you to cooperate."

I pursed my lips. "Okay. Just play the track." I demanded. 

He didn't hear him say anything, I just heard the introduction of the music playing. It was a sound of a violin and a keyboard playing together and the. soon  a guitar would join. I placed the head phones and starting the speaking intro. " I remember when you used to be mine...way back when." I began. " I was too naive to love you right. But now...if I only had the opportunity...I would do...anything...Because my heart still believes...

Because my heart still believes

"Maybe you could be mine.... again....Maybe we could make that dream for real like way back then.
When love was yours....and mine...Maybe we could bring it back to life..."

Quincy wasn't saying anything or cutting me off like had done in the previous takes of this song. So, I knew I was delivering well. I straighten in my seat as I felt myself becoming more confident. "It's irrelevant to dwell on the past...I'm accountable for what went bad, and I mean that. But I...keep on praying for another chance. Just to have you back. 'Cause I've grown, and I know how to be your everything...." I was pouring my heart into these lyrics because they were so close to home. Too close.

Michael's POV

Her voice have changed. I don't mean the way she speaks I mean the way she sings. It's more...mature. Not as innocent as it was four years ago. It so much more soul behind it. She had so much more control of her vocals. I sat in the studio next to Quincy, Kidada, and Ron listening to her as she  recorded a part of her song. I had walked in when he was just starting. When I heard that she was in there I almost turned around and walked out thinking that I was too early, but he told me that he actually needed me there. I didn't question why because her impatient humming stopped the question from even coming out of my mouth.

Quincy shook his head and walked over to the mic. "Okay, Liyah." he said. " One moment."

"Why didn't you tell me she was here?" I asked, slightly frustrated with him and also nervous about what she would say when she came out the booth and saw me there. I could imagine her eyebrows knitting together with confusion and her asking what I doing there.

"Mike,  I don't know why you're trying to avoid seeing her. You know you will eventually end up running in to her."

"I don't care, I didn't want to run into her now. And you're not answering my ques--"

"You know, Quincy," her voice stopped me in the middle of my words. "my butt  and wooden stools don't go well together."

I immediately started laughing. I missed her sense of humor. Even though I knew she was probably serious it was still nice to hear that she was still the same.