chapter 28

“It’s been five days since I’ve seen you. Cut me some slack,” Harry’s voice says in my ear.

            True- the last time I saw him was, like, a week after we went into Atlanta with our friends because his aunt and uncle decided to come and do a random check up on him. We were lying in bed one morning (definitely not sufficiently clothed) and- bam! In comes Aunt Mary and Uncle Mike with lattes and horrified expressions.

            “They wanted to meet you, they really did,” Harry told me last night on the phone, right when I had just gotten home from the a horrid night of Pastel Techniques, “Until they saw us naked in bed. It wasn’t the best impression, love.”

            So, the fact that his relatives just left today was a good reason for me to start focusing on trying to get some projects in before Thanksgiving break. Because, really, Harry is definitely the reason that I’ve been behind.

            “Just because we haven’t seen each other since Monday is not the best excuse. I mean, you sent Zayn to spy on me? What’s your problem?”

            “He wasn’t spying on you!” Harry pleads, desperation in his voice. “I just sent him to see what you were doing, that’s all.”

            I’m amused by this, that’s the thing. Most people would find it fucking creepy, but I can’t help but feel like this is typical Harry. “He came up to me and said that you were trying to spy on me, H. Couldn’t have just called me?”

            “No, listen-” he starts, but then there’s a clanking noise on the other end along with the sound of sizzling. “Fuck- not the- shit.”

            The weird spying situation leaves my mind at that. “Are you cooking something, babe?”

            There are more noises of clanking and clicking as I turn a corner towards my dorm, almost tasting my bed sheets. Netflix and chinese food? I think yes.

            “Yeah, I’ve got kitchen duty at the restaurant today- shit- because I’m covering someone’s shift and apparently I’m a more-than-average cook, so.”

            “God bless,” I say, just as I go into the lighted safety of my building. Home sweet home?

            Harry exhales, sounding like he’s placing a pan down. “Hey, my family just left today, right? How about you come over in, say, 30 minutes? We can have a stay in night and watch something cliche like The Breakfast Club and talk about whom’s-fucking-whom.”

            I breathe out a laugh, stopping in the middle of the stairwell. “If I wanted to have a middle school sleepover, Harry, I would’ve stayed in middle school.”

            “C’mon, Lennon. I’ve gone five days with a cold bed, and you’re warm.”

            “Buy yourself a space heater, mate.” And to be fair, I’m not using ‘mate’ just because I hang out with his British friends. Piper just watches a lot of Skins, that’s all.

            “Please, Lennon? We can cuddle and eat take out food and kiss. Girls like that, yeah?”

            And, yes girls like that shit. Especially me. But, effort. “I’ll be there. But I’m expecting one of your shirts and some socks are available, yeah? And no take out.”